For Silvan

Page 2 of 4

Oh my, not much education made it your way though did it. Why not have your wife, the English Teacher, proofread your notes before you send them?
In my own 16 years of school, every teacher was perfect and all the teachers my kids had were perfect also. All teachers are perfect aren't they?
They are all underpaid, even the ones driving the brand new Lexus (well, they did trade in the Caddy), the one that gets a new car every six months, the one that has a brand new car, pickup, boat and camper, the one that send her own kids to private school. Just a few months ago I reviewed the school budget in our town. Make me want to make a career change.
nbdancer blathers:

They missed with you, didn't they. Actually, most educators are overpaid, IMO.
>Before

Been there. Done that. Wouldn't take the shit from my own kids that you need to take from the little idiots in school, so I went back to things I preferred.

Your wife needs to work on you.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Or someone who had been a teacher or been around a lot of teachers. My wife was a teacher for seven years in an inner city school. She has a _lot_ to say about twits and incompetents who taught there.
Having been in some of those classrooms as a volunteer demonstrator of various things, I believe she's right.

And your wife is an English teacher?

The word is 'irrelevant' unless you're trying to make a distinction which isn't found in Fowler's.

A lot of things are destroying our schools -- including policies and conditions that drive out good teachers and leave the field to twits and incompetents.
--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

HHhhhmmmmmm. Where do you buy your "rose colored (coloured for those in the GWN) glasses"? This is my 7th year volunteering in elementary school, all day every day, with my best friend, who is a "special ed" teacher working with 2,3,4th graders with emotional problems. We see it all . . ADD, ADHD, abuse of all sorts and the results of same.
There are a lot of fine dedicated teachers "out there", and a fair amount of twits and incompetents. I wouldn't say it's teachers who are ruining the schools, although they contribute their fair share. It's the politicians, lawyers, and the PC nuts(the three words are sometimes synonymous), parents who can't or won't take responsibility for their children, and need I go on?
I'm sure "srwood"'s wife is a hard working teacher, but just where in our modern school systems does she have to put up with 160 kids for 8 hr.? We've all heard about overcrowded schools, but that's ridiculous. Maybe 160 in the whole school? Maybe she's actually a principal?
EVERY profession has it's share of twits and incompetents, but it seems the only *sin* is having enough vision and common sense to see them and speak out about it, especially if they are in the "public domain".
I'll get down off my soapbox now, before I really get wound up, plus it's time for me to "assume the position" and BOW DOWN to our great God Charlie!(LOL)
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Man, if you can even bend over far you're lighter than I am!
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
srwood wrote:

Both of you guys are correct. Neither of you are right. Half of all teachers are above average, half are below.
Every profession (yes, even the legal profession) has both stars /and/ twits.
The sad fact of life is that the twits draw our attention much more effectively than do the stars.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Uhhhh - are you sure? Isn't that the median? :)
patrick conroy wrote:

http://www.zone101.com/LearningZone/MathZones/theory/grade6/meanmode.htm
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

My son did that stuff in third grade.
I was too stupid to help him with his math homework, but, fortunately, he's smarter than I am.

Geeeeeeeeez Louise! I gott'a read?!?!?!
I'm a gul'durned senior middle manager! Don't I have people to 'splain this to me? :)

Actually, mathematically, it is possible that all but one are below average. Not likely, but it *is* possible.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:55:24 -0800, Tim Douglass wrote:

...and in a one teacher school, the lone teacher can only be average.
- Doug

Tim Douglass wrote:

So true, in MN we're constantly told that the Albuquerque Public School kids test above average. What a vessel of bovine fecal material! If they are all above, then who the hell is below? Someone has to be, unless some of the Educrats *NEW* fuzzy math is at work here. One plus one equals three (depending upon the density of one)! John
Come on. Don't appear obtuse. When a state school system says their kids test above average, they're saying that the "average" of New Mexico kids are above the "average" of all the other states. Am I totally missing something?
bob g.
John DeBoo wrote:

WOW! Someone who has read a dictionary and learned a new word - obtuse! Yes, they mean that our kids are smarter than kids in other states, and other districts within the state itself, which is pure horseshit. We dumb down our kids by training them to take the test, we teach 'to' the test. A fair percentage of our teachers are allowed to teach even though they too have been dumbed down by allowing them to not pass the state exam at the rate required by law. They can teach even though their own test scores are at 60%. When idiots are allowed to teach, they typically produce idiots.
As for 'average', NM is normally in the last few percentiles of damned near everything that has rankings. The records we set are records others would be ashamed of. Many of the professors, doctorates and other brainy people we have in the labs, nuclear facilities and soon to be rather large aerospace industry are more often than not transplants from elsewhere. Locals do serve a useful purpose though, they clean these people houses and serve them fast food lunches. Wudju like fries with that order essa?
John
Robert Galloway wrote:

Ayup. Now, if you compare to other college "graduates," you'll get a real enlightenment.

Has anything changes since I took the GRE 15 years ago? Back then, even the art students ranked higher than the education majors. (not that there's anything wrong with being an art student, it just struck me as ironic, given the kids in high school and college who majored in art, that they would have higher test scores than those instructing the next generation).
Morris Dovey wrote:

Isn't usenet wonderful? (-:
I almost didn't post because I knew all my fellow geeks would ignore the message and pull out their Cliff notes to check the math. Must have been something perverse in me that made me click on "send".
Ah well. The next part of the discussion will attempt to deal with the case where there are an odd number of teachers...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Did someone mention chopsaws?
-j
J wrote:

Wasn't she a sewing teacher, no, that was hatchet face. John