For Silvan

Page 1 of 4
My wife informs me, information via oldest daughter who teaches Latin in Bedford, that the starting salary for teachers in Bedford County now 30 grand.
Given the living costs here, that's an admirable price to pay, though I'll bet they still hire a fair share of twits and incompetents.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Another "twit" blaming teachers. Charlie Self wrote:

in
30 grand.

I'll bet

Sir Winston

"I'll bet they still hire a fair share of twits and incompetents."
Only a "twit" would make a comment like this about teachers. Education is one the most difficult and underpayed proffesions out there. Before you make ignorant statements I'd like to see you spend eight hours with 160 kids and deal with their self rightous parents for 30 grand a year. Then you might rethink your stupid unrelevent comments.
To the rest of you I apologize for degressing. My wife is an English teacher and it is this kind of mentality that is destroying our schools. NOT THE TEACHERS!!! Charlie Self wrote:

in
30 grand.

I'll bet

Sir Winston

Did someone see the head to my hammer? It seems to have flown off the handle.
-j

srwood wrote:

Good, then I assume we can count our your help in privatizing the school system. Since Teachers=Good without exception (according to you) and Problems=SomewhereElse, then a private school system will benefit teachers immensely insofar as they will get paid more, have more control in the classroom, and be able to permanently expell students that are disruptive (all things that we cannot do now in the Public system).
BTW, anyone who believes that teachers are never the problem is even more naive than someone who believes they are the entire problem. The NEA is one of the most vile, destructive, shortsighted, and plain stupid organizations as regards to education and it is run for and by ... TEACHERS...

so, all teachers are great and none of them are twits?
wow.. must be a perfect world, what color is the sky in it?

"underpayed"? "proffesions"? "self rightous"? "unrelevent"? "degressing"?
And you have the nerve to call a professional writer a twit and claim to be married to an English teacher? LOL!
B.
"srwood" wrote in message

<snip>
I hate to break it to you, but that fact (your wife being an English teacher) doesn't seem to be having all that great of an effect down this way
After 12 years of the most recent battle(s), I can certify without doubt, and provide ample proof, that we have a _large_ contingent of "twits and incompetents" teaching here in Houston ISD.
AAMOF, the higher up the chain of bureaucracy you go in good old HISD, the higher the preponderance of "twits and incompetents", maxing out at about the PhD Ed level, mainly on account of them being educated beyond their intelligence.
So, before you get terminal panty twist over the matter, and wear out the justification for your argument, ask her to please make the "twits and incompetents" down this way disappear also.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

Don't send them north to Albuquerque. We also have our fill of idiots teaching here who's goal it seems is to make a paycheck and go home. Their "Professional" goal is to push as many kids as possible into McJobs for the rest of their lives.
John DeBoo writes:

Speaking of paychecks...Bedford County is about to vote on upping the top pay for teachers to $54,000+ from its current $49,500 or so.
Silvan really ought to check into salaries in the Blacksburg area, 'cause that's a college town and a wealthier area in general than Bedford. Lots of light industry and college related industry (Virginia Tech ain't JUST a football school).
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self wrote:

It used to be more than a football school, but I think many, if not most Tech profs would agree that is no longer really the case. (I know several of them. They rue the day their school made it onto the national map.)
Silvan responds:

There are always profs who will denigrate their own schools, no matter what. Unfortunately, I agree, Frank Beamer has a lot to answer for around Blacksburg, including a massively unneeded (except on the 6-7 home game days a year) road system. And then it isn't enough. Getting by VT on game day adds a couple hours to any trip over I81.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self wrote:

Preachin' to the choir on the road. I'll have to mail you a copy of the newspaper article that features me and mine standing in sight of The Wall. Although the reporter twisted everything I said completely out of context, and quoted me saying things that I said, but never in the same sentence, and also things he tried to put in my mouth, but never quite got me to say. Not that I was surprised by any of this.
I have to say, though, I'm no longer of the same opinion on the road deal that I used to be. Our population has really grown in the last couple three years. I've had occasion to drive across town, both towns, rather a lot lately for various reasons, and traffic on the "business route" has gotten downright nasty. We're the equal of any other nasty stoplights every twelve and a half feet cutting people off and flipping birds and just generally being unpleasant to each other big city I've seen. Quite the metropolitan environment, complete with hostility, impatience and a generous dollop of apathy. I find I use the new road quite a lot to bypass as much of that as I can manage. Though I still think it would have been better to run it through the middle of the mall and Wal-Mart than right beside my bedroom window. Classic NIMBY.
If you want to talk about the Pork Parkway, aka The Billion Dollar Road to Nowhere, though, that's another matter entirely.
Silvan responds:

Ah, yes. The Smart Road. The only thing smart about it was the contractor group that got the contracts.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
"John DeBoo" wrote in message

Boy howdy! ... you hit the nail smack dab on the head with that (OBWW).
There was an "initiative" by the educrats hereabouts a couple of years ago to "key" primary education directly to the _needs_ of the corporate/business sector.
IOW, dumb them down (even further) and make them happy flippin' hamburgers in a service industry ... a damn sight easier to teach 'em that way.
I am not sure, but I may have been one of the outspoken who put that one out to pasture. Then again, those sneaky bastards may have implemented it under some other guise.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

It all depends upon what was meant by the initiative. In the case of the company I work for, such an initiative would have the schools focus on math, the physical sciences and technology skills -- a far cry from hamburger flippin'.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

There's been talk of the same in NM, however what little industry we do have doesn't tend to remain long - except call cneters, and thats not really an industry. Its not NM that causes that, its the nature of many businesses today, here today, gone tomorrow.
The reason for tailor making the workers to the local industry here isn't so people can make a decent living, its so that people don't pull up stakes and leave NM. If they do all that'll be left is retirees. If that happens, who will the politicians scam for money?
John

oooh! oooh! I know! That's easy -- retirees and their heirs.
Ya'll definitely need to get rid of some of those politicians. Having tried to find things in Sante Fe, I think somebody went way overboard with the zoning and sign ordinances.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

If our illustrious Governor "King" Bill Richardson runs for President then everyone can enjoy his selfish antics<G>. He's got a good shot too given the push for the Hispanic vote, and King Bill is 50% Hispanic! Dems seem to think he's their savior. He's the one promoting NM in NY Times Square. As for SF, its called "The City Different", and it definately is. Their motto is leave your money but not yourself, a huge anti growth population lives there.
Wood, on topic! Saddly the bark beetle has decimated many of the pion trees in the state.
John
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message ...

ago
the
Sure it was ... that was why I brought it up.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04