For DW682 biscuit joiner owners

How many of you have cursed the opening in the fence when you want to use it for narrow pieces of wood such as boxes with narrow sides. How about trying to put a biscuit/plate into the end of a board and having the end fall into the opening in the fence? I think I have about 40% of the time. Seems I am always "falling" into the center opening of the fence.
For the life of me, I don't know why Dewalt/Elu has this design flaw. I know that it probably has something to do with casting the fence, but it sure flaws the design.
I just couldn't take it any longer and put an aluminum plate on the end of the fence. It worked great and I don't know why I have not done it before.
Has anyone else done this or have another approach they tried? Does the Porter Cable have this problem?
The PC has a clear plastic insert to put in that opening to prevent what you are describing.

Interesting... I wonder why Dewalt does not have an insert? I don't see an assessory on their web site