Footprint of Delta new Unisaw

I want to ask to someone who has already owned Delta's new Unisaw #36-L336. Please advise what the size of Footpint of #36-L336 is.

Thanks in advance.

Mickey

Reply to
cxh01611

I don't think they have been released yet. IIRC Delta is doing a Festool "thang". Dealers will be getting them but cannot sell them until a certain date. At least that is what I was told at the Houston WW show week end before last.

Reply to
Leon

I don't know if they are shipping yet but you can order one now from Woodcraft. I think they are a little higher than the previous model at $2874 for the 3HP w/36" Bies.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Why not ask Delta???

--

Reply to
dpb

That's more than a "little" higher. I just bought the 3HP with the

52" Bies for $1600.
Reply to
krw

Over all dimensions are not the same as the footprint. If he is making a mobile base for the cabinet the dimensions you listed would be way too large.

Reply to
Leon

$2,684 is well into the ridiculous range. Besides, I have always been reluctant to buy from the front end of the production line on a new product. It takes a while to work the bugs out of a new product. Also, the Unisaw "improvements" during the past 10-15 years have been less than stellar.

RonB

Reply to
rnrbrogan

$2700 is a LOT o' Jack. If I was going to be dropping that kind of money I'd be giving the SawStop machine serious consideration. Independent of its finger-saving feature it appears to be very well engineered, seemingly more-so than the new Unisaw, at least from my admittedly cursory and high-level fifty-foot view.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I would say the price increase is notable but if you want to American built you have to pay Union prices. I don't know if you have shopped its direct competition, SawStop and Powermatic but you may find that the pricing is quite competitive. While I agree that first off the line tends to be a gamble, new design can also mean over built. I have bought numerous "new style" products and have been pleased. They all have not been totally free of small details that need attention but I find that they tend to last longer overall. Time and again I have seen a good design "under engineered" later on to save on production cost. Take the example you pointed out, the Unisaw built 5 years ago was lacking when compared to the Unisaw built 15+ years ago. I still own my 10" bench top planer that I bought over 20 years ago and it was built by Ryobi. It still runs fine but it is retired now as a 15" stationary planer has replaced it.

Reply to
Leon

The made-in-Canada General 650R-T50 is priced similarly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

And a Model 66 is roughly $3K...

--

Reply to
dpb

Good Lord. I just Amazon'd the 66 and I had no idea it had gone up so much. Ditto my 54A Jointer which I paid a $750 for 3-4 years ago (now $959). As Leon suggested we, and the automakers, have to pay the price the unions demand if we are buying US. I hope the current plight of the US automaker isn't the future of machine tools. But looking at the popularity of Grizzly, maybe its already getting there.

I still like to let a product 'mature' a bit before I grab the first off of the line. I spent quite a few years in aerospace engineering and we used up a lot more change order numbers on the first few production items than subsequent items. Granted an airplane is a tad more complicated than a Unisaw but a lot of the changes were at machining, welding and hardware levels.

RonB

RonB

Reply to
rnrbrogan

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: ...

I don't know...mine cost me over $1K picked up at factory in McMinnville in the early 80s -- not sure but what that wouldn't be about same in current $$.

--

Reply to
dpb