Foot wear

Page 3 of 4

Barry N. Turner wrote:

I will let you know about the crocs soon. Just bought a pair yesterday and have not got to the shop to test run them.
My shop has a concrete floor, and it used to cause me some back and leg problems. I started wearing some slip-on's from Lands End a few years ago, and they have been great. Thier catalog no. is #09270-8AGX , and I just ordered another pair for 29.50. The slip-on feature is especially appreciated by my wife, since it makes it much more likely I'll take them off when I come into the house. Land's End offers some orthopedic inserts for various foot shapes, but I've not tried them.
I've also been using a couple of the shock absorbing mats from Woodcraft at my lathe and workbench, and they help as well.
Ron
Spina Bifeda, scoliosis, arthritis. That's what I deal with. I don't generally stand at a work station for more than an hour without bending and flexing (also called excersizing occasionaly) and I wear deerskin slippers. Then I go sit down for a while and work up some more steam. Most importantly, my router table is 42" tall and the table saw is 37". I don't bend forward too much while I work.
Pete

Darn tootin' it is on topic.
If you don't look after your feet, you are not looking after your knees and back either. Dropping 70+ pounds helps too. Doc Martin on the feet, with orthotics. Birkies around the house. Anti fatigue matting in the shop.
Robatoy wrote:

**ALSO ON TOPIC** !!
Wear suspenders with that Normie looking toolbelt!! They distribute the weight better.
And,, if y'ain't got no a$$, they help keep your tools up from your ankles!! I've got just enough to hold my toolbelt all day, but only if my suspenders give out.
Tom in KY, Yep, on topic, yep.
A little google search and http://www.shoe-store.net/c/brands/id/108/style_id/140/mens/birkenstock/safety-toe-shoes.html
Safety Birkenstocks..........

Butt Ugly! And picture Chevy Chase in 'European Vacation'.
What a thread! We must be a bunch of shoe freaks!
Barry

What about Smiths?
vdubbs wrote:

Look up "ripple sole" shoes. Used by mailmen. I think Mason Shoes still makes them, others may as well. I had a pair years ago when my work required 8 hours of standing and I think they're great.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Ahh geez! I had a pair of ripple soles about 1953. I was the only kis in school wearing them. Later I was the first kid wearing Clarke's Desert Boots and it kinda made up for the ripple soles.
"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

LOL ... I remember my Dad, who was in graduate school with a bunch of Ivy Leaguers, decided I needed a pair of "white bucks" to be in style (up to that point about the only thing I'd got from him was Sears brogans) ... damn good thing I was an active boxer, otherwise I'd had to fight my way out of the halls that first day.
I didn't get into the desert boots until college ... still like the look.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

This thread is amazing. Folks you never hear from and long as a kid's Christmas list. Still, it's great info and kinda fun to hear some of the personal info on folks that you only know by posts on turning. At 63 and not a computer dude I find this internet thing cool as it so quickly covers so much of the world.
TomNie
vdubbs wrote:

causing him to become flat footed. This subsequently caused some disks in his spine to slip. The remedy was to wear boots with a substantial heel and to have inserts which he could place in his boots supporting his arches. I always wear Blundstone boots, they have a good instep and and a heel. A bit pricey at about $100.00 a pair but you get bloody good mileage out of them. A good thick rubber mat or duck boarding at work stations also helps heaps. regards John
Very interesting all your comments. I understand that some of you have foot problems or foot discomfort. A year ago I found these insoles called shockblockers. They are very comfortable. I spend most of my work time walking on concrete floors and these insoles have helped me a lot. I thought you may be interested to learn about these shock absorbing insoles. For more information, here's the link the site: www.shockblockers.com
Cheers, Josh