Foot wear

Page 2 of 4

From listening to previous comments........it seems that more than a few of us need to make a New Year's Resolution..........(myself included, 275# here)........that is to lose a little weight and get some exercise. As much fun as turning is........it's not very strenuous and just doesn't burn many calories.
Barry

On 1/12/2006 1:51 PM Charlie Self mumbled something about the following:

Amen to that. Funny, how according to the new govt BMI standards, I'm considered obese, but before I broke my back, I weighed exactly 20 lbs less than I do now and a the flotation method of determining body fat showed me at just under 8%. I was 6'0", 195 lbs, lifted weights daily and ran 1-2 miles a day. And I did this with bad knees (hyper extended one playing baseball when I was 17, smashed the other with a maul when I was 16). Today, I'm 215 lbs (wife loves to cook, I've always loved to eat), I'm still very active, but I can no longer lift weights or run like I used to (knees have finally deteriorated to the point that even a good fast walk hurts them).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

I don't know, I run an average of 22 miles per week (run three days in a row, 3.5-4 miles then a day off) have been doing so for ten years. Run competitively for my age (59) in local 5K and 10K races. Also do a lot of situps to keep my ab in decent shape. Consider myself in good shape. But my back and knees still bother me when I stand in the shop all day.
My wife bought me some crocs for Christmas. She's had a pair for a year and I've made fun of them that whole time and gave her a hard time for buying me some. But, I have to admit they are very good to stand in. I wear them in the shop when I am doing light work and not likely to hurt myself. When doing heavy work I have been wearing timberland hiking boots. The crocs do much better.
Frank
i use rockport clogs http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.74376/dept_id.L2~3184/qx/product.htm in the glass shop that allow me to stand all day. the only problem i find is when glass chips or hot solder falls down inside the shoes without me noticing.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Charles Spitzer wrote:

That place rocks when they've got what I need.
I love Sierra Trading Post.
On 1/11/2006 11:31 AM mike mumbled something about the following:

I'm 45 as well, but my back problems stem from much more than mere age. 20 years ago I had a 20% compression fracture of the anterior of L1 and some nerve damage between L4 and L5. Standing in one position, bent over, or sitting in one position too long aggravates my back. Anything that absorbs the shock when standing or walking (padded floors or padded insoles) lessens any stress I feel on my back.
It's not always about strength and flexibility, other things factor in as well. According to my doc, I'm not supposed to lift anything over 10 lbs for the last 20 years. I do it anyway, and I suffer for it at times.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
"Leon" wrote in message

6', 205 ... and my biggest problems are with a service connected knee injury, and the fact that I walk at least two miles _every_ day, rain or shine, knee be damned, before sun up.
I wear Rockport World Tour Classic exclusively, both walking and in the shop.
Own three pair, two of which I have added inserts on top of the regular inserts, and one pair, the brown suede version of the WTC, that are more comfortable without double inserts ... go figure.
IOW, while all Rockport's are not created equal, at least for me, (the last batch, and most comfortable, are not made in China, but Vietnam, from whence the knee injury coincidentally originates ... there is some justice in this world) I still find them the most comfortable, all day shop shoe.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

"Leon" wrote in message

http://shop.rockport.com/product/index.jsp?productId 10424&cp60345.1760378.1760399&parentPagemily
Thanks for the link. I went to the Rockport store in the Galleria back in early December and tried everything on, but stuck with the WTC's. I don't think these were on the wall at the time, but I will definitely call them today and see.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

http://shop.rockport.com/product/index.jsp?productId 10424&cp60345.1760378.1760399&parentPagemily

I had to buy mine from the actual Rockport store also, the one that was in First Colony mall. That was my last pair and that store closed about 4 or 5 years ago. I am about ready to buy another pair and no one had these on line. You may have to buy them direct from Rockport. Actually when comparing the online Rockport store to the other on line shoe stores, they were cheaper. I'll have to look at the Galleria store also. Like most all Rockport's, these shoes feel broke in 10 minutes and you can wear them all day long immediately. Oddly and another testament that the Chinese can build quality if instructed to do so, these 4 year old shoes were made in China.
"Leon" wrote in message

in
don't
them
I just ordered a pair from the Galleria store. They did not have them in the store, but they'll ship them to you by, dog sled? (5-10 days) for $5.50 ... which still beats the hell out of _me_ having to go to the &%^& Galleria, which I only do with a figurative gun held to my head.
Time will tell if you're right about the comfort ... if not, wanna buy a pair of 11W's in brown? ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Ohhhh.. I am a 11.5 M kinda guy. Besides did you not say that they would ship them to you "meaning me"? LOL
Was the store cheaper than ordering on line?
$5.50 beats a trip to just about anywhere.
"Leon" wrote in message

Same price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

http://shop.rockport.com/product/index.jsp?productId 10424&cp60345.1760378.1760399&parentPagemily

But they are still as comfortable. At least the Danes are doing some QC befor putting the nam on them. DAGS for cheaper ECCOs. You have to pick through stuff and buy whatever is available in your size, but the prices can be as low as 50% of retail and sometimes even less. Here's a start: <http://www.sierratradingpost.com/
LD
Has anyone tried "Crocs"? Injection molded sandals?
Barry

Not deliberately, but I have a pair for working in the garden that I sometimes neglect to leave at the door when I slip into something less dirty. They don't have the firm arch support, which would probably make a difference after an hour or so.
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:43:59 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"
They're all the rage in hospitals among folks who rarely sit.
I always wondered if they were THAT comfortable and good, or if they were easily sterilized.
Barry

Poor man's Birkis. I imagine it's more a monetary decision than comfort, as I own both. Crocs have heel straps, too.
If you have ever worked much in the Emergency Department, you'd know that washability is a highly desirable characteristic. Birkis have the insoles, but they seldom get stained.
All my boots are stained, as well as my leather gloves, because I work the ambulance. Dark, cold, blood and fluids. All you can do is spray the areas of your clothing when you get to the lights and hope for the best.
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:43:59 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"

Yes, I like them. read my post above. Comfortable for standing long times but do not offer enough protection if you drop a tool or board.
Frank