foot powered lathe(pay attention Nick)

Saw this over at rec.crafts.metalworking.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

A lot of skill and craftsmanship went into that lathe. Thanks, I enjoyed that. That guy is FAST!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

That was great! Can a lathe like that turn non-green wood (I know that Roy's spring-pole lathe is designed to only turn green wood)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Great video, worthy of the bow that guy takes at the end. I have a version of that same Dunlop lathe, though set up for electric motor of course. Anyone interested in tools like this who is near Haver de Grace, Maryland should check out the Stepping Stone Museum in Susquehanna State Park. They have an original foot-powered lathe and other 19th century tools on display. There's also a working water-powered grist mill in another part of the park that they demonstrate during weekends in the summer. The overshot water wheel, as I recall, is around 20 some feet in diameter.

Larry W