Folw-up question to Ridgid 13" planer sticking

I was reading all of the responses to the OP regarding cleaning the rollers on the planer. In a few cases, a buildup of pitch was suggested as one potential problem. Almost all of the replies mentioned using things like Naptha, Lighter Fluid, Acetone, Mineral Spirits, and the like. My question is, what about something like a sawblade cleaner use to remove gum and pitch from saw blades. It is designed specifically for removing pitch and is completely safe and non-toxic. Would the residue left behind be a problem?

Maybe the next time I bring out my DeWalt 733 I'll try it since I have the same problem. That might be a while because my garage/shop is just a little too cool for me this time of year.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Short answer: "It depends."

Sawblade cleaner is designed to work on _metal_ parts, obviously.

The 'innards' of a planer may, or *MAY*NOT* be metal parts.

You may have rubber, and or any of many kinds of =plastic= in there.

Different kinds of cleaners are required for different kinds of materials.

What is 'safe' for _one_ material may well *destroy* a different material.

"Read *AND*FOLLOW* manufacturer's directions" applies, absolutely, to this subject.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I 've been using simple green, and it does fine at cleaning my rollers. It's also non toxic. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I bet a call to the Ridgid service department will get you the correct answer.

Reply to
Leon

It's also a cause of corrosion if it wanders into unseen areas of metal. Mineral spirits aren't.

Reply to
George

I use alcohol with no problems.

Reply to