Follow up on the Multimaster post

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:56:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous RonB

I got one earlier this year and have had uses for it thrice at a refurb I'm doing on a rental house. It has performed superbly all 3 times. I've removed paint off a heavily overpainted cabinet door bottom, cut a screen door channel down to size, and diced a crossthreaded faucet into many pieces for removal when we couldn't get the original nuts off the bottom. I've never seen crossthreaded nylon nuts on a faucet before, but they were REALLY on there.
My $34 (coupon) was a well-spent investment in a multifunction tool from HF. Two thumbs up. Well, 1.95 thumbs. I kinda tore one up on the sharp edges from the faucet on Thursday; my first cut from what amounted to a copper knife. ('Twas .3" long x .093" deep, I bled it well, soaped it, Bacitracined it, butterflied it, and it's healing nicely, without pain or stitches after two days.)
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Where did you discover this tool and its sale price?
HF's main page and search engine don't seem to know about it.

It is hard to find. They give it some kinda funny name. Probably to appease the competition's lawyers.
On 2/20/10 1:04 PM, HeyBub wrote:

<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberg537>
--

-MIKE-

tool.
http://www.harborfreight.com/
On 2/20/10 1:24 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Nope.
<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberg537>
--

-MIKE-

tool. I asked for it before and nobody would give it to me. And if you LOOK at the opening page, right smack dab in the middle of the screen is the afore mentioned multi-function power tool. Right where I said it was.
The problem that Bub had, just as I had, was that everybody refers to this item as a "Fein knockoff". And it may be that, but HF would never call it that or acknowdge that what it was. So it is very helpful if people give the actual name of the item. It makes it much easier to find. I looked for it before and could not find it. I think that the only reason I found it recently is because HF is actively promoting this item and I finally got to see it and a name for it.
On 2/20/10 1:38 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

But you didn't find it. You found the old one. He was talking about the new variable speed multitool.
I cut and pasted "variable speed multitool" from his post, with Harbor Freight, into google and there it was on the first page.
--

-MIKE-

Lee Michaels wrote:

Does the one to which you point fit the OP's description?
"HF's new variable speed multitool.
"They have it on sale now and it is a pretty nice looking machine. Seems better built that the Rockwell (Sonicrafter ?) machine and comes with a pile of blades in a compact case. Sale price is $49."
Is the one you found VARIABLE speed? Does it come in a COMPACT CASE? Is if FORTY-NINE BUCKS?
If the one you found does not meet all three of these descriptors, my question is still open: Where is it?
On 2/20/2010 5:04 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Right here, where <someone> said it was: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberg537
(Except it's not $49, it's HF "list" of $80 minus a penny. It's left as an exercise for the reader to find the coupons that allow one to buy it for less.)

- a Usenet "apology"

That would be me.
> "HF's new variable speed multitool.

The link to the $79 tool shows the correct tool. However, as pointed out to me by local HF employees, not all stores have the same sales. They have "regional" sales. Not all local stores honor the website (national) pricing. I have been in the store to buy nitrile gloves (best deal going when they are on sale, like their leather work gloves) and found them on sale on the website. However, from time to time they won't honor the price in the store and tell me that I need to order online to get that price.
Conversely, like you see on the link, the variable speed model isn't on sale nationally. In the LOCAL store it was $49, and additionally almost all the blades for both models were on sale as well. I saw the blades on the link next to the tool, and I noticed they weren't on sale as they are locally.
If you want to get on board with a lot of sales that aren't advertised, or to receive coupons that beat their sale prices from time to time, sign up next time you are in the store. They will email you the ads and coupons.
I wouldn't worry about it. They told me they are selling dickens out of those tools, so that means they will be on sale off and on everywhere for a couple of years (once month?) until the dust settles on the product.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thanks for the info.
As for not honoring an internet sale price, unless the web site had a disclaimer such as "valid only for internet sales," I'd fuss like the third monkey on Noah's gangplank.
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:28:35 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-

That's what I have. Hey, check this out: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberg461 Looks damned handy. On my wishlist it goes...

Is the variable speed worthwhile, Bri^H^H^HMike? <giggle>
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Has anyone tried the HF blades and accessories on the Fein? One of the things that ultimately bothered me about my Fein was the cost of blades.

I believe since the patent ran out on the Fein, some other brands do fit it. The Dremel multimax (which is what I bought) is supposed to fit the Fein.
LDosser wrote:

Got a Dremel rotary tool? If so make your own blades by cutting as many narrow slots in the blade face as you can.
If you look at the original blades, the "teeth" are not sharp and have no offset, so they're fairly easy to duplicate.
I've done this. The result works not quite as good as a commercial variety, but more than ample to get through the job and it only takes a couple of minutes to cut twenty or so slots.
LDosser wrote:

I haven't tried the HF blades but I've been using the Dremel blades for a while. $12 for the Dremel vs. $32 for the Fein.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

By the way, for those interested, here's a site with reviews of Harbor Freight tools: http://hfreviews.com . It's completely independent of HF itself, so far as I can tell. You can post your own reviews there.
Here are a couple of reviews of the "new" (variable-speed) "multifunction tool": http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id 07

- a Usenet "apology"
On 2/21/10 3:44 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

How goofy is that? Why don't they just start another page to review the variable speed on instead of putting it under the title of the old one?
--

-MIKE-