Follow up on the Multimaster post

But you didn't find it. You found the old one. He was talking about the new variable speed multitool.

I cut and pasted "variable speed multitool" from his post, with Harbor Freight, into google and there it was on the first page.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The original Fein had the same blade change system as the HF version has now.

Reply to
LDosser

Has anyone tried the HF blades and accessories on the Fein? One of the things that ultimately bothered me about my Fein was the cost of blades.

Reply to
LDosser

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:56:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous RonB scrawled the following:

I got one earlier this year and have had uses for it thrice at a refurb I'm doing on a rental house. It has performed superbly all 3 times. I've removed paint off a heavily overpainted cabinet door bottom, cut a screen door channel down to size, and diced a crossthreaded faucet into many pieces for removal when we couldn't get the original nuts off the bottom. I've never seen crossthreaded nylon nuts on a faucet before, but they were REALLY on there.

My $34 (coupon) was a well-spent investment in a multifunction tool from HF. Two thumbs up. Well, 1.95 thumbs. I kinda tore one up on the sharp edges from the faucet on Thursday; my first cut from what amounted to a copper knife. ('Twas .3" long x .093" deep, I bled it well, soaped it, Bacitracined it, butterflied it, and it's healing nicely, without pain or stitches after two days.)

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 2/20/2010 2:13 PM LDosser spake thus:

That's the old Harbor Freight multi-tool; the new one has an improved mounting system (perhaps the same as the Fein) that eliminates the problems with the old one, due to the four little metal "nubs" wearing down.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I believe since the patent ran out on the Fein, some other brands do fit it. The Dremel multimax (which is what I bought) is supposed to fit the Fein.

Reply to
Upscale

Does the one to which you point fit the OP's description?

"HF's new variable speed multitool.

"They have it on sale now and it is a pretty nice looking machine. Seems better built that the Rockwell (Sonicrafter ?) machine and comes with a pile of blades in a compact case. Sale price is $49."

Is the one you found VARIABLE speed? Does it come in a COMPACT CASE? Is if FORTY-NINE BUCKS?

If the one you found does not meet all three of these descriptors, my question is still open: Where is it?

Reply to
HeyBub

Got a Dremel rotary tool? If so make your own blades by cutting as many narrow slots in the blade face as you can.

If you look at the original blades, the "teeth" are not sharp and have no offset, so they're fairly easy to duplicate.

I've done this. The result works not quite as good as a commercial variety, but more than ample to get through the job and it only takes a couple of minutes to cut twenty or so slots.

Reply to
HeyBub

I haven't tried the HF blades but I've been using the Dremel blades for a while. $12 for the Dremel vs. $32 for the Fein.

Reply to
Nova

On 2/20/2010 5:04 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Right here, where said it was:

(Except it's not $49, it's HF "list" of $80 minus a penny. It's left as an exercise for the reader to find the coupons that allow one to buy it for less.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:28:35 -0600, the infamous -MIKE- scrawled the following:

damned handy. On my wishlist it goes...

Is the variable speed worthwhile, Bri^H^H^HMike?

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Or buy 3 or 4 of them and pick up the one that has the blade you need in it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That would be me.

The link to the $79 tool shows the correct tool. However, as pointed out to me by local HF employees, not all stores have the same sales. They have "regional" sales. Not all local stores honor the website (national) pricing. I have been in the store to buy nitrile gloves (best deal going when they are on sale, like their leather work gloves) and found them on sale on the website. However, from time to time they won't honor the price in the store and tell me that I need to order online to get that price.

Conversely, like you see on the link, the variable speed model isn't on sale nationally. In the LOCAL store it was $49, and additionally almost all the blades for both models were on sale as well. I saw the blades on the link next to the tool, and I noticed they weren't on sale as they are locally.

If you want to get on board with a lot of sales that aren't advertised, or to receive coupons that beat their sale prices from time to time, sign up next time you are in the store. They will email you the ads and coupons.

I wouldn't worry about it. They told me they are selling dickens out of those tools, so that means they will be on sale off and on everywhere for a couple of years (once month?) until the dust settles on the product.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks for the info.

As for not honoring an internet sale price, unless the web site had a disclaimer such as "valid only for internet sales," I'd fuss like the third monkey on Noah's gangplank.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 2/19/2010 5:32 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

By the way, for those interested, here's a site with reviews of Harbor Freight tools:

It's completely independent of HF itself, so far as I can tell. You can post your own reviews there.

Here are a couple of reviews of the "new" (variable-speed) "multifunction tool":

David Nebenzahl

the variable speed on instead of putting it under the title of the old one?

Reply to
-MIKE-

On 2/21/2010 1:49 PM -MIKE- spake thus:

Keep in mind that these reviews are all submitted by users of the site, who may or may not be good at writing descriptive titles and may get things a little wrong. Doesn't make the site any less useful, just a little harder to find things sometimes.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Here is their current on-line ad:

web video language. Something like "..solid die cast metal gear housing..." The housing is metal, not the innards. Still looking forward to actually seeing one if a week or so (when we go to the big city :^} )

I also had the Dremel tool in my had this weekend. Pretty good looking, solid feeling tool and it fits the hand well. $99.95.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I bought the Dremel. One consideration is that you're tempted to hold it where the air intake ports are located and that makes it heat up fairly quickly. It just means that one has to hold the tool farther down the base instead of what feels the most comfortable when first using it.

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with it. My biggest complaint is that the cutting attachments do not yet appear to be as widely distributed as the tool is, at least not up here in Toronto, Canada. Eventually, they will catch up.

Reply to
Upscale

I bought the Dremmel version a little while ago. It's OK, but I would have rather have the Bosch Milti-X (no one had it in stock when I needed it). Are any of the blades interchangeable in these things?

Reply to
krw