Follow up on the Multimaster post

Page 1 of 3
If you aren't ready to jump on the bag o' tools that Ridgid is offering that has a multitool in it, you might want to check out HF's new variable speed multitool.
They have it on sale now and it is a pretty nice looking machine. Seems better built that the Rockwell (Sonicrafter ?) machine and comes with a pile of blades in a compact case. Sale price is $49.
I bought the single speed HF model for $35 about 6 weeks ago, and it has been great. Had I known how many things I could actually use this thing for, I probably would have bought the basic Fein years ago.
As a sidebar, I swore off any tool that looked even just a little gimmicky after I purchased the DeWalt model of a Roto tool. I used it once about 8 years ago. What a waste of time and money that was.
At any rate, the multitool machine they sell seems to run very well, has plenty of power, and I am hoping it is like the 4" grinder I bought at HF a few years ago. I just can't kill it. And it looks like the new HF multitool is basically the same machine as the old one, just variable speed + a case.
I haven't killed mine yet and it has trimmed a lot of 5/8" plywood siding, trim boards, cut holes for access, and even cut through several feet of very thick hot mopped roofing.
Great buy.
Robert
We had a string about the HF tool a few weeks ago which sent me googling. There does appear to be quite a few favorable comments out there, The main ones who were complaining were the Fein owners. The Fein obviously is a much better tool but costs 10 times more,
Best news is our son just bought one of the HF tools. Gonna let him field test on his nickel.
RonB

No doubt the Fein is a better tool. But I am not going to pay that much more for a tool that I will use like hell for a while, then not at all for a month or two.
As a special purpose tool, I sure wish I had one of those (Fein or other) when I had a door replacement contract with a company here in town. It would have made flush cutting the jambs next to the tile/ wood floors a snap.
Now that I have one and it works well, I see a lot more use for it than I would have ever suspected.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If any but the Fein had been in existence when I got mine I'd probably have gone with one of the non-Feins. It's a lot of bux for what it is.
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:10:59 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I have the Fein as it was the only alternative when I got it. Its gotten me out of so many of those situations where your in some uncomfortable position trying to figure out how your going to solve this problem without killing two hours you didn't plan for. Its paid for itself so many times I have no regrets. But if you've got one thats a tenth of the cost of the Fein I bet your grin is bigger then mine every time you use it.
Mike M

My sentiments exactly.

My question is, what makes the Fein a better choice and why would it be worth the extra several hundred dollars? Yes, I can guess the internal parts may be a higher quality or perhaps it may use steel instead of plastic. If that's considered better, then I understand, but is it really worth several hundred dollars more? Considering the HF and others perform in the exact manner, why would people still purchase the more expensive model?

The Fein has a superior blade mounting system. The HF version involves unscrewing and rescrewing a socket head bolt to change blades. On the Fein, there is a release lever and mechanism. For most types of work, you put a particular blade on and use it for the whole job, so the Fein's quick release is nice, but far from being essential.
For the price difference you could hire a kid to change blades for you.

Other comments I saw centered around the fact that Fein's innards are mostly metal while the HF was plastic (guessing nylon or similar). I haven't looked at the other lower priced versions since but I wonder if they are metal or plastic. There were also comments about the blade attachment like you mention. But they also said that Fein and HF components are interchangeable.
Just hearsay at this point. I'll look at others the next time we go to the big towns.
RonB

If the HF tool has plastic inards, it hasn't made any difference as far as durability. I've been abusing the hell out of mine for quite some time now without any problems. Did you know that the wood blades will cut pipe and protruding framing nails in tight spaces if you push hard enough? LOL
On 2/20/10 8:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I look at my HF multi-tool as being disposable. If I get a couple years out of it, great. The thing will always be 35 bucks. HF just started selling a "heavy-duty" version for about 10 bucks more. I have half a mind to buy one just to review.
In any case, the price of the others are going down, while the innovation and competition seems to be on the rise. What am I out if the HF craps out in a year? I'll have more choices and more knowledge and pay less for higher quality.
--

-MIKE-

RonB wrote:

I have the Fein. Mine broke while under warranty. When I called to arrange for repair I was asked which model number I had as some models were repairable and others had to be replaced. In my case it was a nylon gear that had stripped and since it was still under warranty it was repaired at no cost. I don't know if the replacement part they used to repair the unit was nylon or upgraded to metal but I haven't had a problem with the tool in the last three years.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

The original Fein had the same blade change system as the HF version has now.
On 2/20/2010 2:13 PM LDosser spake thus:

That's the old Harbor Freight multi-tool; the new one has an improved mounting system (perhaps the same as the Fein) that eliminates the problems with the old one, due to the four little metal "nubs" wearing down.

- a Usenet "apology"

Here is their current on-line ad:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumberg256
Interesting web video language. Something like "..solid die cast metal gear housing..." The housing is metal, not the innards. Still looking forward to actually seeing one if a week or so (when we go to the big city :^} )
I also had the Dremel tool in my had this weekend. Pretty good looking, solid feeling tool and it fits the hand well. $99.95.
RonB

I bought the Dremel. One consideration is that you're tempted to hold it where the air intake ports are located and that makes it heat up fairly quickly. It just means that one has to hold the tool farther down the base instead of what feels the most comfortable when first using it.
All in all, I'm quite satisfied with it. My biggest complaint is that the cutting attachments do not yet appear to be as widely distributed as the tool is, at least not up here in Toronto, Canada. Eventually, they will catch up.

I bought the Dremmel version a little while ago. It's OK, but I would have rather have the Bosch Milti-X (no one had it in stock when I needed it). Are any of the blades interchangeable in these things?

My neighbor has one of these, and I had the chance to use it yesterday. IMHO, it's a great tool at a reasonable price. My next trip to HF will include buying one for myself.
--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a Republican seating option. These are
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 08:46:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Or buy 3 or 4 of them and pick up the one that has the blade you need in it..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
SBH wrote:

(1) Quick change chuck. (2) Good dust collection. (3) Very large range of accessories guaranteed to fit.