Follow Up- Hand Plane Comparison: Stanley vs. Veritas

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the replies. I think I'll go for the Veritas... I don't have a clue how to fine tune a new Stanley, and I would much rather start learning with a good quality plane fresh out of the box. I'll save the fine tuning lessons for later (except for the sharpening skills).

Reply to
Mike H.

Nice choice, Richie Rich. :) Buy one each of all the other Veritas planes too, for me. I keep shoving them to the bottom of my someday list.

Reply to
Silvan

"Mike H." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Good choice. Remember that you will probably pass these on to your kids when you go, so it will be nice to leave them the quality. Any time I buy low end I always regret the choice later unless I give up with the hobby/craft. Then I end up wanting to replace with better quality once I start using the tool (or camera) and realize its usefulness.

(Want to buy a slightly used band saw?)

Brian

Reply to
Brian in Vancouver, BC

The 9" benchtop? :)

I almost bought one of those, but I figured I'd be better off just to wait until I can afford a real one.

Reply to
Silvan

They can be made usable... I just got one of the $87 Ryobi's from HD and set it up as best as I could according to the Duginske book. The main problem I had with it was all the phillips head fasteners were loctited in so hard, I had to destroy them to get them off. I had to either file the edges flat so I could get a wrench on it or use a dremel cutting wheel to cut a slot to get it off with a flat screwdriver. After I got that all sorted, I put a decent blade on it, and it works out okay for my space limited shop in the upstairs bedroom of my house. I'm also currently overhauling a friends 1943 Delta bandsaw and borrowing some shop space out in the country for it, but the Ryobi will be handy for light use.

But I also have two Lie Nielsen planes, so I don't know what I'm thinking.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan