Follow Up- Hand Plane Comparison: Stanley vs. Veritas

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the replies. I think I'll go for the Veritas... I don't have a clue how to fine tune a new Stanley, and I would much rather start learning with a good quality plane fresh out of the box. I'll save the fine tuning lessons for later (except for the sharpening skills).
Mike H. wrote:

Nice choice, Richie Rich. :) Buy one each of all the other Veritas planes too, for me. I keep shoving them to the bottom of my someday list.

Good choice. Remember that you will probably pass these on to your kids when you go, so it will be nice to leave them the quality. Any time I buy low end I always regret the choice later unless I give up with the hobby/craft. Then I end up wanting to replace with better quality once I start using the tool (or camera) and realize its usefulness.
(Want to buy a slightly used band saw?)
Brian
Brian in Vancouver, BC wrote:

The 9" benchtop? :)
I almost bought one of those, but I figured I'd be better off just to wait until I can afford a real one.

They can be made usable... I just got one of the $87 Ryobi's from HD and set it up as best as I could according to the Duginske book. The main problem I had with it was all the phillips head fasteners were loctited in so hard, I had to destroy them to get them off. I had to either file the edges flat so I could get a wrench on it or use a dremel cutting wheel to cut a slot to get it off with a flat screwdriver. After I got that all sorted, I put a decent blade on it, and it works out okay for my space limited shop in the upstairs bedroom of my house. I'm also currently overhauling a friends 1943 Delta bandsaw and borrowing some shop space out in the country for it, but the Ryobi will be handy for light use.
But I also have two Lie Nielsen planes, so I don't know what I'm thinking.
Jon