Flutes in a post

Page 2 of 2

,<rolls eyes at self>

I did this for a customer when I built a butcher block table. I did it all on the router table and like you indicated used spacer blocks between the fence and the leg. Run one side, flip ends and run the other, that will give you evenly spaced inner flutes, then add you spacer and repeat. Test on scraps for proper spacing.

Thanks everyone that contributed here! I think I have enough to go by now thanks to you guys. :^)
I know you said stop giving ideas but here is one of my custom tips, no charge. This only applies if the flutes will terminate before the end of the material rather than running of the end and butting into a plinth or head block.
I use a frame and use spacers to cut the flutes. The really cool feature is to use a radius ended bit core box (or cove I think) and ramp out at the end of the flutes. So at the end of the frame you have a ramp so the bit lifts out of the material over about 1/2" so instead of a radiused end to the flute you get a sort of a point. Woodworkers will scratch their head and customers will never notice. But this is what it would look like if you did it by hand with gouges, etc.

Dammit! I like this. Ok stopped flutes it will be. I need to practice this one with the ramp. I might post a few test runs if I have time in the next day or two.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

I think it's worth going the extra yard to get that look. I used that same effect on my armoire project:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/sets/72157603972580761 /
but I hand-carved the ends of the flutes with a small gouge. I could have used the router and ramp method, but I kinda enjoyed doing it the neander way.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

what kind of wood (or finish) is that? it's pretty red in the pictures.
charlie wrote:

Honduras Mahogany. Water-based dye stain. Many (MANY!) coats of garnet shellac to fill the pores (most of it taken back off with a card scraper and/or sandpaper, sometimes having to re-stain if I got too carried away), and after I got enough shellac buildup to fill the pores, I finished sanded to 400 (or was it 600?) grit and sprayed a final coat of satin nitrocellulose lacquer. The finish is *deep* and rich, and you can see all the way to the bottom of the pores of the wood, unlike the effect you get with most wood fillers (and I think I tried them ALL). I would have preferred just dispensing with the red stain and going straight to the garnet shellac, but SWMBO had a controlling interest in the color of the piece. :-)
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

An added advantage to this technique is that you (largely) avoid burning at the end of the stopped flutes. This is particularly an issue with cherry and maple.
~Mark.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

I just did this for the rockler murphy bed bookcases. I had the face frames put together and I wanted stopped flutes so they didn't leave gaps behind the base and crown moldings. I used a 1/8" radius round nose bit and made the flutes 1/8" deep. For the spacing, I made a sample piece with a centered flute and one edge flute. I clamped stops on the face frame and set the edge guide on the router by placing the bit in the sample and adjusting the edge guide. I did the same for the outside flutes, one with the sample flute closest to the edge guide and the other with the sample flute farthest away from the edge guide.
There's a pic in this album where you can see the flutes in the face frames: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2734576/1/Crown_molding?h df48
- Doug

I was also considering stopped flutes for the reason you mention. In the picture provided by the client it looks like the flutes are not stopped and continue into lower molding.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Got a molding head for your saw? That profile looks like one that is a pretty standard cutter and a saw is a lot faster. The cut will be much better too since the cutter is revolving parallel to the grain rather than cross grain like a router bit.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Unfortunately no. That does sound like a much quicker solution.

GarageWoodworks wrote:

Spend <gasp> $100 sometime. Includes some cutters, additional available at $18.99 per set of three (were $5-6 not long ago) http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00903217000P?keyword=molding+head

--

dadiOH