flush cabinet doors

I am making a small set of cabinets and want the doors to be flush with the face frame. What is the best way to get an even gap around the doors? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Bill B

Any type of spacer. I have used wood stips, penneys, etc.

Reply to
Chris Carruth

Are you talking about inset doors?

One method, of many:

Requirement: Perfectly,.as possible, "square" face frame.

Requirement: Perfectly, as possible, "flat" stock for the doors rails and stiles, so the door has NO warp.

If the door is warped, do something to get rid of it ... the warp, or the door. If the FF is warped ... well.

Of course, you have previously made the door oversize in both dimensions ... about 3/32" wider and taller than the door opening ... you want to end up with about a 1/16" gap, all around, between the door and the face frame of a single, inset door in a cabinet.

I generally start by placing a bottom and top side, usually the bottom rail and hinge side stile, in the door opening.

Then start your choice of planing, cutting, jointing, sanding, on the top rail and opposite stile for a TIGHT fit of the door in the opening.

You got a choice of methods. If you're real good with a plane, you may find that an option. I generally use my stationary belt sander as there is generally less damage/chipout when sanding, and I often use the jointer now that I own a good one. A well set up table saw with a good blade is an option. Sanding is probably better if you've never done it before.

Once you get the top and hinge side reduced to where the door will go JUST go in the opening with NO room to spare, pull the door out and make a mark

1/8" across the top rail and opposite stile.

Plane, cut, joint, sand, to this line ... but sneak, sneak, sneak up on those lines like Boudreaux sneaks up on dem ducks!

Check the fit often ... and pray to your god/goddess of choice as frequently.

Reply to
Swingman

Use double-sided carpet tape to tape a strip to the bottom and one side of the door [assuming it is built to fit with the space allowance you want ...1/16]. Perhaps tape a temporary door stop to the frame to hold from going too far inward. Hold snug. Mark and fasten hinges. Remove strips.

Just 'tack' the strips, full length not necessary.

Dan.

Reply to
Danny Boy