Fluorescent Lighting for Shop/Garage

Page 2 of 4
Sorry, I was trying to give you a helping hand hoping you may learn in the right direction.
Since you still demonstrate ignorance , of this difference, in bulb construction, I will leave you with it.
----------- "Leon" wrote in message
Learn the difference between "Lumens" and "Lux" and your understanding of these matters will likely be better.

Jeez, I am probably one of the few left that has not yet plonked you. And then you BS me with non experience as opposed to my experience.
I certainly hope you have nothing that might benefit me in the future as I'll never see it.
"Leon" wrote

He changes his email addy from time to time. So killfiling this troll is a constant exercise. He was gone for awhile, then he came back. Like a bad smell, he is hard to get rid of.

Which is brighter, a dual 32W 4' fluor lamp or one 60W bulb? (HINT: The fluor puts out about _ten_times_ the light for 4 extra watts of power.)

No, lumens tell the tale. A 23W CFL bulb is both brighter and nicer than a yellow old incan 100W bulb.

Leon, until you figure out why WLM isn't putting in GT symbols, why don't you do it manually? We still can't tell who's quoting whom there. That only works for a single quotation.
GT is a simple symbol to insert - >, see?
-- Woe be to him that reads but one book. -- George Herbert
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Which is brighter, a dual 32W 4' fluor lamp or one 60W bulb? (HINT: The fluor puts out about _ten_times_ the light for 4 extra watts of power.)

No, lumens tell the tale. A 23W CFL bulb is both brighter and nicer than a yellow old incan 100W bulb.

Leon, until you figure out why WLM isn't putting in GT symbols, why don't you do it manually? We still can't tell who's quoting whom there. That only works for a single quotation.
GT is a simple symbol to insert - >, see?

Lux tells the tale. Lumens are only part of the formulae in lighting.
Some smaller wattage bulbs put out higher Lux than others in the same technology. There is a reason for that but since you are "happy with the results" what are you asking here?
------------- "Leon" wrote in message
No, lumens tell the tale. A 23W CFL bulb is both brighter and nicer than a yellow old incan 100W bulb.
----------- The wattage is what tells the tale. Both are the same wattage. I doubt you could tell the difference looking at them side by side.

Looking at their web site, the Sylvanias you have seem to be some kind of special purpose bulb, however I couldn't tell much more--their web site is a model of worthlessness. They do have others that have illumination levels more in line with the Phillips. I'd take them back.
J. Clarke wrote:

Yes, but not inventoried at Home Depot or Menards.

Yep! Will do!
Thanks, Bill

I have trouble believing that the higher-lumen bulbs have a worse CRI. And the CRI differing that much for the same 5000k rating is odd.
I'd opt for the brighter bulbs, Bill. And I'd get the box of 25. They're invariably -considerably- less expensive that way, like a buck or two cheaper each.

Especially after they get wood dust all over 'em. Efficiency report: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/pdfs/fluor_lamps.pdf

A.R. Bill Rides Again! <snort>

I suppose you then said "Well get in there and do them, woman. I'm going to the Borg to buy lamps & fixtures." <titter>
-- Woe be to him that reads but one book. -- George Herbert
Larry Jaques wrote: <snip>

Hey, that was pretty interesting!

You write that as if attention to detail is a bad thing...

Naw..I'm a little more discreet about my shopping than that. But if conversation should turn in that direction, I'll be ready with: "That dang dishwasher cost ne'r twice as much as all of my light fixtures combined!" (there's no need to confuse matters with the box of bulbs or the spools of wire...) ;)
By the way, what Mike M. termed the "DP Baseboard of my dreams" this past winter may finally be constructed in the next few days. The weather and a few other matters held me off-track until now. I might start sooner, but I've got to go bulb shopping again tomorrow... I hope someone here is amused by my humble attempts at humor... The "Mrs." doesn't think I have a good sense of humor...beyond that, opinions vary widely... lol ; )
Bill
BTW, here's a good example of a "bad joke" I read the other day:
These two muffins were in the oven. One muffin said, "Gosh, it's hot in here!" The other muffin went "Eeeek!!!, A talking muffin!"
Dont' tell anyone you heard it from me--I'll deny it.

Yeah, but take it with a grain of salt. It was, you see, a gov't pub.

Nah, not bad. Just humorous to others.

Smart man.

Don't be surprised if you get as much flak as I did with my bow saur project in the last century. Har!

You have...?, er, never mind. <giggle>

I don't doubt that.
-- Woe be to him that reads but one book. -- George Herbert
Larry Jaques wrote:

Larry,
The reputation of your bow saur is renown (had to consult my the-saurus there...)! Have you published a magazine article about it, or a photo or video somewhere?
Bill

Nah. It lives in infamy in Wreck memories everywhere(?), as well as Google's lobotomized DejaVu history files.
-- Woe be to him that reads but one book. -- George Herbert

*NOBODY* with even half a bran would repeat that story.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Robert,
I prefaced by saying it was a "bad joke". I am unable to take credit for it. I'm glad you enjoyed it for what it was! I'll try to make it up to you... Here's another joke for your consideration:
There was a family of 3 moles living underground, as they do, sort of reminiscent of "The 3 Bears". The papa mole went to the top of their hole, and said "Emmm, I smell pancakes!" The momma mole went up their too and "Yeah, I smell pancakes too." The baby mole trying to squeeze through to get a whiff, cried instead "All I can smell is molasses!" (think about it)
Bill
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Hey, I FINALLY understand your comment! GEEZE! : )
Bill
On 5/21/2011 3:09 AM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Orange you glad you didn't have to?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

As I recall, there Were two muffins in the story!
Who needs talking muffin, doh?
On Sat, 21 May 2011 03:09:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Your reputation is in crumbs from that one, Bobby. Butter think twice before doing something like that again. The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -- Madeleine L'Engle
WTF is with all these half-baked jokes? Glad we don't hear them too oven.
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message wrote: BTW, here's a good example of a "bad joke" I read the other day: These two muffins were in the oven. One muffin said, "Gosh, it's hot in here!" The other muffin went "Eeeek!!!, A talking muffin!"