Fluid Mechanics and Dust Collection

Page 2 of 2

Then there's the lathe.
Engineering estimate: Let's assume the wire is coiled in such a way as to represent a cross-sectional area (when looking through the tube like a telescope) of 1 square inch. That seems hign but let's go with it.
Now a 4 inch diameter tube has a cross sectional area of 12.5 square inches. Thus, I claim approximately 8% of the are is lost so there's an 8% loss of vacuum every foot.
My 1 inch is probably high, it's probably closed to one tenth of an inch so the result is closer to 0.8 percent.
I know nothing about fluid mechanics except that my roommate used to spend entire nights doing the homework (I was in electrical engineering, he in mechanical). However, I'll bet that my super simple minded approach here is not that far off.
Dave, sorry for taking your humorous answer so seriously.
Dave Hinz wrote:

OK, so far so good.

No, that would be a loss of _flow_, not vacuum. Unless you're poking holes in the side of the pipe, you're not losing vacuum.

If that. Maybe .01" cross section. However - fluid dynamics are a fluid and dynamic field of study, and just as you'd expect, things behave in unexpected ways.

It's a restriction, but it's more than that - it will introduce turbulence which further impedes flow. Probably.

No worries there, I assure you.

Never Enough Money wrote:

Posted tables in a.b.p.w. - all start with "SPloss". Their GIF files you should be able to view in your browser
charlie b