Flouorscent Lights in the cold

Page 2 of 2
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

I'm already wearing long johns. I don't think we'll be wearing T-shirts and shorts this winter. Snow flurries last night.
I guess that means most of Canada is already a foot under. :)
scribbled

weren't
Perhaps I should mention that I grew up and worked in Northwestern and Central Ohio, for some of those years as a frame carpenter. Those were not "southern t-shirts & shorts" winters. Try it. It does help. By the way, back then, thinsulate did not exist. I never quit working until the temp fell to -10, or more than 6 inches of snow.
Why do you think I moved here?
--
Jim in NC

Silvan wrote:

Last year I bought one of those ceramic element heaters that you mount on a propane tank and that seemed to help alot. I don't think I paid more than about $30 for it. There is an issue with ventilation but my unfinished garage/shop is far from airtight.
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD
Donnie Vazquez wrote:

Dad always taught me not to heat the whole outdoors. It's hard to pay to heat a shed with absolutely no insulation.
I might do it anyway though. :)
My interests wax and my interests wane, but I've been in the shop every day since the middle of June, and it's only getting better. I think maybe I'm finally going to stop waffling and focus on one thing.
Maybe.
At least for now. :)
Menards and other "borgs" sell 0 degree fluorescent fixtures, only they will be at least twice as expensive as the typical "shop/garage" lights, watch for sales on them about this time of the year..., Menards had them for 1/2 price a couple years ago, thats when I bought a bunch for the new garage, and the basement workshop..
FJ Shepley & JM Pfohl wrote:

be
I have some cheapies., When first turned on, they are a bit dull, but as the fixture and the shop heat up, they brighten to normal. If it is too cold for the lights, it is too cold for me so it has not been a problem.
They do have a fixture for cold climates, but they are expensive. Mostly they are used in reefers and walk in boxes that are cold all the time. I'd at least try a couple of standard fixtures before spending big bucks for an upgrade. Cold temperature fixtures (-20 degrees) start at about $80. You can get the same light for about $20 from a standard fixture once you hit 50 degrees. Ed
BINGO !!
Ed, you got to the core point . . .
When I can't feel my hands, it's time for coffee and the books or computer. 'Buzzing & Blinking' until the chill comes off and the little 'scrapeater' woodstove warms up I can live with.
At about 35-40 degrees the 'finely measured & cut' wood will move when it gets to 'room temperature', the glue won't 'set' properly, epoxy & varnish 'curtain' with the very extended curing times, and my butt gets cold . . . which hinders my thinking processes !!
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop
SNIP If it is too cold for the lights, it is too cold for me so it has not been a problem.

SNIP You can get the same light for about $20 from a standard fixture once you hit 50

I live in the foothills of the Cascades and it can get down to 20'F here for a few weeks a year. When the temperature in the shop (garage) gets below 35'F, I leave my lights on all night. Florescent lights use very little electricity. I have four Lithonia T8 4-tube fixtures I got at the Borg for $60 each. I would guesstimate it would take 5-6 seasons to recover the cost of the 0-Degree fixtures not including the additional cost of the tubes.
Erik

be