Florida Shop vs Rust?

We are relocating to Florida, Tampa Bay/Clearwater area. My concern is a lot of rust on my now rust free tools (currently housed in San Antonio). I hauled away some meltal shelving from a place we bought -- it left a ton of rust flakes in the back of my truck! So, how do Woodworking Floridians compete with the onslaught of rust in their beautiful state?

Please reply to deltaorion39*nospam*@hotmail.com (my apologies for asking you to "fix" the address before sending. Thank you.

Gary

Reply to
Othello1939

I lived in Tampa for 7 years, and found that only one thing caused rust on my tools (or metal shelves) - storing the muriatic acid used in pool maintenance in the shop. Doh! Don't do that!

John

Reply to
John Mc

Think Air Conditioning.

Reply to
Greg

Come to think of it, I found a gallon jug of muriatic acid in that storage room where all the rusted shelves were found!

Reply to
Othello1939

Reply to
Kennor

Lots of wax on castiron tables, and lots of Boeshield on other rustable parts. Biggest thing is to keep on top of this, and check for rust often so you can catch it early and take care of it.

John - >We are relocating to Florida, Tampa Bay/Clearwater area. My concern is a

Reply to
John Crea

I use Top Coat on everything. I leave my shop two months without entering....................out of town. No problem. I live in Lakeland about 40 miles east of Tampa

Reply to
rllipham

Gary wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sat, Feb 28, 2004, 1:23am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Othello1939) We are relocating to Florida, Tampa Bay/Clearwater area. My concern is a lot of rust on my now rust free tools (currently housed in San Antonio). I hauled away some meltal shelving from a place we bought -- it left a ton of rust flakes in the back of my truck! So, how do Woodworking Floridians compete with the onslaught of rust in their beautiful state? Please reply to deltaorion39*nospam*@hotmail.com (my apologies for asking you to "fix" the address before sending. Thank you. Gary

****************************************************** I live in Spring Hill, Florida, about 50 miles north of Tampa. My shop is in what was a large enclosed porch which is part of an addition to my house. Originally I had a rust problem and it was either too hot and humid or too cold to work in it. When I replaced my central air conditioner I bought a larger one and had two ducts run to this room. Now I have no rust problem and I can work in comfort year round.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Reply to
Sir Edgar

Just what do you consider too cold to work in? You live in Fla., it can't be cold down there!!!

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Anything below 60F is considered cold down here.

Regards, Dick

Sunny Tampa, Florida

Reply to
Dick Latshaw

Are you looking to adopt in the near future, dad?

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

What kind of tools are you bringing son ;-)

Reply to
Greg

My shop (about 2 hrs. from TB) is un-conditioned but it's all wood and off-grade. I keep a piece of plywood on the TS when it's not in use, and cover most tools w/ a tarp. No real problems! I do use Boeshield on all the tools and once in a while I have had to use a green scotchbrite to remove some surface rust.

I've heard that Concrete and leather result in mold, so I'd expect similar results in an unconditioned shop on a concrete slab.

Cheers, Gary

Reply to
Gary Greenberg

Jerry wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Mon, Mar 1, 2004, 1:57pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@inNOSPAMsightbb.com (Jerry=A0Gilreath) Just what do you consider too cold to work in? You live in Fla., it can't be cold down there!!!

Reply to
Sir Edgar

HEHHEH I hear that. We manage to go to PCB twice a year. Spring and Fall. We used to go in July, but dammit it's hot that time of year. One of these days, I can say "We're going to Ky. for vacation".

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

You would like Hershey, PA then. I couple of weeks ago it warmed all the way up to 40. I built some cabinet and spent the whole day outside. When I sat down to dinner, I noticed my fingers started tingling. I guess I had mild frost bit.

Its 60 today and I stripped down to shorts and a t-shirt for a run.

Don't mind the cold, but don't like the heat.

Hershey, PA --the sweetest place on earth, at least that's what everyone says.

Reply to
WoodChuck34