Florida Shop vs Rust?

We are relocating to Florida, Tampa Bay/Clearwater area. My concern is a lot of rust on my now rust free tools (currently housed in San Antonio). I hauled away some meltal shelving from a place we bought -- it left a ton of rust flakes in the back of my truck! So, how do Woodworking Floridians compete with the onslaught of rust in their beautiful state?
Please reply to deltaorion39*nospam*@hotmail.com (my apologies for asking you to "fix" the address before sending. Thank you.
Gary
I lived in Tampa for 7 years, and found that only one thing caused rust on my tools (or metal shelves) - storing the muriatic acid used in pool maintenance in the shop. Doh! Don't do that!
John
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:23:42 GMT, "Othello1939"

Come to think of it, I found a gallon jug of muriatic acid in that storage room where all the rusted shelves were found!
> I lived in Tampa for 7 years, and found that only one thing caused > rust on my tools (or metal shelves) - storing the muriatic acid used > in pool maintenance in the shop. Doh! Don't do that!
Think Air Conditioning.
I haven't had any major problems with rust in my closed garage. I have had light patches show up on occasion, but not really a problem if you watch for it. Leave anything out for a day or so and it will rust. I wipe down my machines every once and a while with paste wax.
(my apologies for asking

Lots of wax on castiron tables, and lots of Boeshield on other rustable parts. Biggest thing is to keep on top of this, and check for rust often so you can catch it early and take care of it.
John - on the coast of FL up in the Panhandle
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:23:42 GMT, "Othello1939"

I use Top Coat on everything. I leave my shop two months without entering....................out of town. No problem. I live in Lakeland about 40 miles east of Tampa

Gary wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sat, Feb 28, 2004, 1:23am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Othello1939) We are relocating to Florida, Tampa Bay/Clearwater area. My concern is a lot of rust on my now rust free tools (currently housed in San Antonio). I hauled away some meltal shelving from a place we bought -- it left a ton of rust flakes in the back of my truck! So, how do Woodworking Floridians compete with the onslaught of rust in their beautiful state? Please reply to deltaorion39*nospam*@hotmail.com (my apologies for asking you to "fix" the address before sending. Thank you. Gary ****************************************************** I live in Spring Hill, Florida, about 50 miles north of Tampa. My shop is in what was a large enclosed porch which is part of an addition to my house. Originally I had a rust problem and it was either too hot and humid or too cold to work in it. When I replaced my central air conditioner I bought a larger one and had two ducts run to this room. Now I have no rust problem and I can work in comfort year round.
Peace ~ Sir Edgar
Just what do you consider too cold to work in? You live in Fla., it can't be cold down there!!! <G>
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.

Anything below 60F is considered cold down here.
Regards, Dick
Sunny Tampa, Florida
Are you looking to adopt in the near future, dad?
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.

What kind of tools are you bringing son ;-)
<Ft Myers>
snipped-for-privacy@parinc.com (Dick Latshaw) wrote in message

You would like Hershey, PA then. I couple of weeks ago it warmed all the way up to 40. I built some cabinet and spent the whole day outside. When I sat down to dinner, I noticed my fingers started tingling. I guess I had mild frost bit.
Its 60 today and I stripped down to shorts and a t-shirt for a run.
Don't mind the cold, but don't like the heat.
Hershey, PA --the sweetest place on earth, at least that's what everyone says.
Jerry wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Mon, Mar 1, 2004, 1:57pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@inNOSPAMsightbb.com (JerryGilreath) Just what do you consider too cold to work in? You live in Fla., it can't be cold down there!!! <G ****************************************************** Don't believe what the Florida Chambers of Commerce tell you in the magazine ads that are published up north. In my area it can get down to 30 in the winter and living in a concrete block house (termites eat up the wooden ones) is like being in a cave. Yes, there are warmer portions but they are further south in the more affluent areas. In the summer, it is hot and HUMID (lots of rust). Not a nice place at all but the high taxes where I lived in Pennsylvania drove me here when I retired. The best thing that I can say is that there is no snow.
Peace ~ Sir Edgar.
HEHHEH I hear that. We manage to go to PCB twice a year. Spring and Fall. We used to go in July, but dammit it's hot that time of year. One of these days, I can say "We're going to Ky. for vacation".
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.

My shop (about 2 hrs. from TB) is un-conditioned but it's all wood and off-grade. I keep a piece of plywood on the TS when it's not in use, and cover most tools w/ a tarp. No real problems! I do use Boeshield on all the tools and once in a while I have had to use a green scotchbrite to remove some surface rust.
I've heard that Concrete and leather result in mold, so I'd expect similar results in an unconditioned shop on a concrete slab.
Cheers, Gary