flooring vs trim/moulding species recommendations

Hi all!
I'm doing some new construction and am having a difficult time making a decision here. I'd really like to go with santos mahogany flooring, but I can't decide on what species of wood to use for the trim work. The most common recommendation I get is to use cherry, but cherry costs quite a bit and my builder wants to charge me a lot more _labor_ to install cherry trim.
Others have told me I can use oak, but the grains won't match/coordinate; and poplar and maple won't take a dark stain well; and pine is soft and will show wear quickly.. etc.
If any one here have any bright ideas, I'd really appreciate hearing from you!
Much Thanks,
Fritz

Was going to pass on replying to this message because what came to mind was using Walnut, but that's pretty 'spensive too. I agree that none of the Oaks sound like they'd compliment the floor.
Then Ipe (E-pay) popped into my noggin -- it's readily available at flooring dealers, dark in color, hard as hell - meaning it'll resist chair leg and vacuum dents and it's less expensive than Cherry or Walnut (last I noticed). I doubt it's available off the rack in trim configurations, but it shouldn't be too difficult to have it milled. The only thing I can't say for certain is if the coloration would go well with the flooring you've chosen, but my mind's eye thinks so.
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know anything about the species, so I'll do some homework.
Again, I really appreciate the tip!
Fritz
Personally, the Santos mahogany I've laid always looked great with paint grade painted white. Very clean.
MH

MSH wrote:

Thanks, MH. I will say that I also think painted white trim looks very good with the mahogany. Some places in our house will have that. But some rooms I wanted stained and I've just been having trouble picking a species. Thinking I might buckle and go with the cherry anyway though.
Thanks!
Fritz