Flooring Strips and Reducers

Of all the transitions from 5/16" hardwood flooring to vinyl my house has, two of them will require joining the strips perpendicular to the reducer strips (http://www.bruce.com/resflram/na/home/en/us/popp23760.html ). How can I do this with excellent finish?
I laid the strips 1/2" longer than they'll need to be and then I was thinking about getting a power saw to trim them to length, even as between the door jambs I'll need to trim the last bits manually. Is this a good approach?
Advice to a novice is welcome.
TIA