Flooring Q

Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:

House came with all carpet and vinyl sheet. Baths, hallway and kitchen were vinyl. Rest carpet. Dinning was carpet over vinyl sheet because entire roll goes across one half of the double wide. All stapled down; under cabinets and walls too.

Uh no. Can't store anything outside and no place to store it inside. Not allowed to store outside. Communities don't allow 'eyesores'.

Reply to
Casper

Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:

And no, they provided a list a week before they started stating what they will and will not take and they definitly will not take anything on that list. I've seen plenty of neighbors forgetting and then having to go out and deal with their own wet boxes, furniture, etc,.

Reply to
Casper

The idea is to break things down into small enough pieces that they don't notice. Some fella I knew who lives in a similar neighborhood tossed his garage roof that way half a shingle at a time.

If you could call them to come with a truck and pick up a load of crap for a reasonable price it would be one thing, but if you have anything not on their list you're on your own for disposing of it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

When we lived in NY, that's the way it was. When we moved, I filled a couple of dumpsters with crap I had squirreled away, around the house. VT was better, at least there was a place to get rid of the stuff. Expensive, but at least there was a "dump". Now I do the "cut it up and hide it in the garbage over several weeks" trick.

It's not that so much as volume (route distance) and tipping weight ($$).

Reply to
krw

I was talking about your lumber prices!!! (However, for most things you pay a LOT less than we do up here in Canada.)

Reply to
clare

I suspected it was a "redneck bungalow" - which is why I asked how big it is. Just about any of the low volume deals would have enough to do a trailer home up here

These transitions are significantly less than a folded carpet.

Reply to
clare

Big mobile.About the size of my 2 story. - bigger actually, if you don't count my basement.(mine is 1325 sq ft on 2 levels, plus the finished basement)

Reply to
clare

Who you calling redneck? I'm an east coast baby!

You can't tell the difference between our home and a stick build. Looks almost like one a few doors down and ours is in better shape.

Would you believe that we have people who trip on nothing? We understand some people like different things in each rooms, ergo tile in baths and kitchens, wood in a living room, etc, but we do not.

Reply to
Casper

So more a "factory built home" than a double-wide trailer. - If you want it all the same, your best bet is high quality sheet vinyl, just like it came with but possibly better quality. Your second best is Luxury Vinyl Plank - clic-type, which costs more but you can install yourself.

Reply to
clare

Yeah, it's amazing that some people believe that there are optimum flooring materials for different rooms. Others, like the previous owners of our VT house, and liked carpet in the bathrooms. Sound familiar?

Reply to
krw

I think the term today is manufactured home.

I have no issues with sheet vinyl but my other half does.

We were looking at more LVP yesterday. The stick-to-edges type has a

25 year warranty and is highly water resistant. Starts at $2.09 a sq ft. Free floating and no underlayment over OSB required.

Their cLVP (click-type) starts at $2.99 per sq ft. Waterproof and lifetime residential. No underlayment required over OSB.

We don't need waterproof, just good water resistance for kitchen, baths and laundry room. No outside flooding concerns. Thickness difference between the two is marginal so no issues there. We actually like the color options the offer on the sLVP more than cLVP.

Anyone ever use the sLVP? This is NOT the kind that sticks to the floor. Only the edges stick to one another.

Reply to
Casper

Here is some info on one of the sVLP type we looked at...

sVLP = stick-to-edge VLP or also called Grip-Strip VLP.

Reply to
Casper

Used it in my step-mother's house. I'd go for the clic for the small difference in price and the ease of installation (and the ease of future repair - you can pop out a damaged clic-tile and replace it relatively easily - not so easy with edge glued tile)

Reply to
clare