Flooring Estimate

Does anyone know of a "rule of thumb" about estimating hardwood flooring that will be layed at a 45 degree angle? Normally I would by

10% or so extra to cover the waste, but I have no experience at this angled idea. I don't want to have a lot of this stuff left over but some for future repairs would be OK. We are talking about a snap together laminate roughly 7" wide I believe.

TIA

Duane

Reply to
Duane Elliott

Does anyone know of a "rule of thumb" about estimating hardwood flooring that will be layed at a 45 degree angle? Normally I would by

10% or so extra to cover the waste, but I have no experience at this angled idea. I don't want to have a lot of this stuff left over but some for future repairs would be OK. We are talking about a snap together laminate roughly 7" wide I believe.

TIA

Duane

Reply to
Duane Elliott

Let's just say I hope it's not more than 15%. I've got some flooring being shipped to me that SWMBO wants laid at a 45. I drew it up in AutoCAD and figured how many rows I had. You lose a 45 deg cut at each end of a row. As a percentage of the floor area, it didn't add up to a whole lot.

In case anyone cares, I'm getting ready to put down about 550 sq ft of 5/8" mesquite flooring. It will be glued down using Bostik Best urethane adhesive. My cousin is in the mesquite wood business in south Texas and acquired this material for me. I've put down 3/4" plank flooring and laminate flooring, but I haven't done an application like this. This floor should be the showpiece in our new addition (if I don't screw it up).

todd

Reply to
todd

Start by measuring the diagonal of the room, at a 45 degree angle. divide that by 7" to get the number of 'board widths' involved.

you'll need an extra 7" of length for every 'board width'.

*PLUS* whatever you normally allow to avoid using 'really short' pieces.

figure in the 7"/'board width' first, then adjust up b the 'slack' percentage.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Post some pics when you are done.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Which would come out to the length of the diagonal itself, since you're dividing it by 7" (board width) and then multiplying it by 7" (board width)..

Then double it since you're mitering and losing material on both ends.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

You will lose some pieces that are just too short, however longer pieces will fit the other side of the room and your miter will already be cut for you. I did a job similar to the one you are working on, and the general contractor only purchased 10% over the square footage. I had to very carefully plan the layout as I went. I tried to layout the lengths so that I cut my miters 1/3rd to 1/2 way of the length of boards, this gave me a long enough cut length to piece into the other side of the room. When I finished I had half a dozen lengths left over. Good Luck

Reply to
hard_way

Sheesh! right you are on that. That's "too simple".

Reply to
Robert Bonomi