Flooring

Page 4 of 4

I asked him to take a picture last night but he wouldn't do it. Just as well because even besides the cold and snow, it gets dark early still and his floods don't point in the right direction enough.

Wouldn't you know it was -12 last night. More snow predicted too.

He said pressure treated, large beams, 6x6 and 8x8, brought in along with lumber to build his garage. He wanted larger and more beams to support the future tub. Contractor built what he asked for and said it was more than any tub would need.
Funny part? Now he says he doesn't want the tub because his mother-in-law will be over all the time.
On 2/13/2015 12:25 PM, Casper wrote:

I would look at what the definition of plywood is. There is "Engineered" hard wood flooring that is actually plywood and then there is more common hardwood veneered plywood that is typically used for furniture. I would not put much trust in the later being a good material for flooring although the link you provided has the appearance of the common furniture grade plywood. Just because a designer uses it does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that the material choice is a good one. On a side note my wife and I visited a model home in a new neighborhood. The floors were sand stone, very attractive but tons of grout and you could already see wear paths in the stone from traffic. I would guesstimate that the floor had to be replaced with in a year or two. I would highly suspect that a common plywood floor might have a similar life expectancy.
an inexpensive underlayment over the entire floor is a route to take? john
"Casper" wrote in message
Anyone here has any experience with plywood flooring? http://www.braitmandesign.com/home-remodeling-all-projects/advice-for-homeowners-looking-to-remodel/plywood-flooring-attractive-inexpensive-option/2100/
I am considering this as an inexpensive alternative to other flooring. Almost all (bathrooms can wait a bit) all of the flooring for 1400 sq ft home needs replacing. Currently it is 70% carpet, 20% sheet vinyl and 10% vinyl squares.
Carpet is 20 years old, worn and coming apart at all the seams. Twenty year old sheet vinyl isn't as bad; one major hole in washroom and two small ones in bathrooms; mostly it's all discoloring. Vinyl tiles are press-n-stick to OSB and are shifting badly. My hunch is the texture of the OSB isn't right for those kind of tiles.
I'm trying to ascertain how well plywood will hold up, if properly treated, and how difficult is it to put down. I've seen some wild patterns but I plan to stick to a simple design, maybe a fancier edge or something depending on cost and labor (if I do this myself).
Would standard wood flooring treatments be enough on plywood? Or are there better, less expensive options. I don't want a 'cheap' floor, or cheap looking. I can't afford right now to shell out 6-7k or more (price quotes) for vinyl planks, even though I do like the look and quality of those.
Yes I have been searching for other options. Yes I have checked pricing everywhere I could find within a reasonable distance. I really would prefer to do this all as one floor and keep the cost down, especially if I end up having to pay for labor. Thoughts?
`Casper
More unusual flooring... http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/protecting-the-environment
On 2/18/2015 8:51 PM, Casper wrote:

I'm going to start saving the caps so I can do both bathrooms. My wife is going to be so happy when I surprise her with ut.

If you soak off he lablels you could paper the room too :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

now the labels are off get a glass cutter and make a wainscoat with the bottle bottoms and epoxy

Ha! Do let me know how that works out for you!

Personally I don't find most barnwood style floors appealing but it does depend on the look. I lean more toward modern and industrial.

I like stone. It's just I usually see more of it I like on the outside of a house than inside on the floor.
That multi-colored laminate planking does look kinda ugly. It would probably be good for a bar, restaurant or game hall doing a theme.

I agree and blame H&G all the time. I hate shopping for furniture for that very reason. I loathe sales people who stand there and try to tell me why I should love a particular piece.
When are current couch was delivered, I stopped the delivery people from bringing in more pieces because the color was wrong. We chose a light brown/tan. What arrived was off white. The men said call the store. So I did. Get this, the sales woman said to close the window shades as I was probably getting too much light in and not seeing it right. WTH? I had her on speaker phone and the three guys delivering were shaking their heads and trying not to laugh. I made them take all the wrong pieces back. I won't be shopping there ever again.
I like real wood, not particle board. I admit I do have an entertainment center made partially from some manmade stuff which was painted and not properly coated. It scratches easily. Worse, they make them all in white then paint over for your preferred color. We're not watching TV much anymore so ultimately we may get rid of it and put the LCD on the wall for movies.

LOL. True. I appreciate the rustic look, it's just not my style. I do however try to recycle when possible. I think we waste too much.

I think the end cut boards look interesting but I don't know about it as flooring. A restaurant near us has some on walls and it looks neat. I'm certain it's easier to clean on the wall than floor but I'd rather not be the one trying to dust.

Agreed.

LOL! Your grandfather sounds like a wise man.

I hate having to redo things to fix a bad job.
I found another example of plywood flooring done DiY and they actually give more information on how they did it. http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2014/02/diy-plywood-plank-floors/
I like the driftwood, which makes the nails a bit less noticeable.