flocking

I'm working on a number of wooden boxes for Christmas presents.
Last year I went through the effort of cutting felt to line the bottoms of the boxes I made. This year I saw the bags of flock, glue, and flocker at Rocklers and decided to give it a try.
One problem I'm having is getting a nice uniform surface. The other is glue drips. Gads don't drip the glue on a surface that you don't want to color because it is tough to get off.
What is the trick to applying the stuff and getting a uniform clean surface?
Well, I used "blue painters" tape to tape off the surfaces where you dont want the flock on, then a coat of shellac on the rest of the piece, and then the "colored glue", start flocking right away, put lots on, dont stop when it "looks covered" keep flocking. Leave it over night and knock off the flocking then next morning in a paper bag and recycle what comes off..
william kossack wrote:

--

Bob Kuphal -- Wisconsin

Remove DONTSPAM to email
My own experience is that you'll never get as good a lining with flocking as you will with felt or fabric. I've got a bunch of flocking stuff that I haven't used in almost 10 years. But the best results come with some surface prep. You need to seal the bottom of the box first with a coat or two of shellac. This will give you a more uniform surface to paint on for the flocking adhesive/paint. A technique I've been using for several years with my boxes: I cut the groove for my box bottoms just slightly oversize and then line my bottoms with leather/fabric first before I glue up the box (have to be careful with the glue up though). I like to leave my box insides raw wood (well sanded and smoothed) so I don't have to worry about finish affecting the box lining. If you want to finish the insides, just mask of the edges of your bottom lining and use a wipe on finish that's easy to control.
Gary

surface?
My high school woodshop teacher taught us not to use glue when flocking as it dried to quickly. Instead we used oil based paint which was the same color as the flocking. It is self leveling, gives plenty of open time, and hides the thin spots. If you're not too skilled with a paint brush, use masking tape. Don't skimp on the flocking when blowing it on - too much is just right. Whatever doesn't adhere can always be recycled.
Art

surface?