Flexible molding question updated

I recently asked about a source for wood molding to attach to a round table top. Rockler and Lowes were mentioned, Lowes being pointing toward plastic stuff. Lowes has THIN wood moldings with textures and some plastic stuff that is smooth. A clerk bent the wood piece into about a 15" diameter but with the textured side inside the curve in compression. Didn't think fast enough at the time to ask for the piece to be flipped so texture would be in tension, to me a more hazardous condition. Will probably get a piece to play with. Wondering if slight moisturizing of the stock would help it relax and not split along fiber lines when bent in tension. Thoughts welcomed!

My thought would be that unless you've got one really small table, you should be fine. I suppose if you were really concerned, you could set up a quick steam setup and steam bend the thing. But for something like a 42" round table, I wouldn't expect the bending stresses to be out of line with a thin molding.
todd
After sending the second post I went back to Lowes for something else and checked the trim again, this time bending it so the texture was in tension. End use will be a small table about 19 1/2" diameter and the test yesterday looks like it wont be a problem. Don't know how they can make this in Australia and still sell it at the price they do. Thanks all for the words and URL!

snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote in news:le20u2hllvu36q0gvrs6q7io6ullm2pkcn@ 4ax.com:

Couple three years back, when TOH did that 'redo' on the place by the bay in Mass., and spent probably $2.4 million, they showed some moulding pieces they used for the coffered ceiling and rounded edges. What sticks in my cluttered mind is that they had a supplier for these, and I'm thinking Chicago? I bet it's still on their web site somewhere. Molded/cast from something with latex, or hide glue, or something similar.
I'm also thinking that plaster was used for some of these, and that would still work for painted applications. Except where my grandsons are, at least.
Good luck. Maybe Andy Dingley will jump in here, with an idea from his eclectic space(s).
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

This month's issue of "This Old House" magazine has an article about building an arched doorway. I believe the flexible molding referenced in that article is "FlexTrim". See:
http://www.flextrim.com/flextrim2.asp
A Google search for "flexible trim" turns up many other sources:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=flexible+trim&btnG=Google+Search
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On Feb 24, 4:56 am, snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

I have used the 'plastic' shoe molding from lowes and to get it around the curve at the bottom of the steps I just heated it with a hair dryer and it bent fine. Of course it would only work for a painted or faux stained project.