Flattening rough stock?

Page 2 of 2

Sounds like you have the right tools - the 13" planer will provide a parallel board. To remove the twist, mount it on a sled, then run one side through the planer until flat, remove the sled, flip it over and run the other side through.
To do it by hand, Google winding sticks.
Dave
PeteD wrote:

You can use one of those portable planers to flatten probably 95% of your wood if you buy from a good supplier. I used to run everything through the jointer, but now I only do it if the board is severally warped. No need to get an electric portable jointer.
If you build a flattened sled for the plane, you might not even need a jointer at all. The sled will be more timeconsuming than a jointer, but a lot faster than doing it by hand.