Flattening Rough Sawn Lumber With A Planer

Page 2 of 2

(Leon)

If you do a version of this sled I would like to see it. Oddly I changed very little also on this set of plans. Basically mine is longer and while contemplating the construction of this sled and after using I have not thought of any improvements that would make it better and not slow down the adjustment process. Oh yeah, my planer has 2 rollers on the table under the cutter head so it was not necessary to put the plastic laminate on the bottom of the sled. Mine has a wood bottom surface.
Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 3:11pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) now sayeth: Jeeez, all that trouble for nothing ... next time just rotate the printer.
Why didn't you say that before?
If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Swingman. LMAO
JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Huh... You turned you monitor over to see the pictures right side up and silly me stood on my head. :~)
Perhaps that adhesive backed stair step material looks a little simpler now. The trick is to stick all the wood pieces down on the tape next to each other and then cut them apart with a utility knife.
Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 11:04pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) NOW says: Huh... You turned you monitor over to see the pictures right side up and silly me stood on my head. :~) <snip>
I didn't know standing on my head was an option. I suppose I could have bent over, and looked thru my legs - but then they would have been ass-backwards.
JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:37:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

DONT DO THAT!!!!! you may never stand upright again and if ya tips over you could wind up with you head up yur ars!! lmao..... but then SWMBO say thats where i keep mine most of the time! :-}>
skeez

Tue, Jan 17, 2006, 12:41am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@home.com (skeezics) doth advisith: DONT DO THAT!!!!! you may never stand upright again and if ya tips over you could wind up with you head up yur ars!! lmao..... but then SWMBO say thats where i keep mine most of the time! :-}>
I'd reply to that, except for two reasons. One, that went over my head. Two, my reply would probably be obscene. Two, my response would obviously go over your head.. And, I can't remember the other reply.
JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:19:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

hehehehehehe. i was gonna email it but...... lol.
skeez
Glad it work for you too Leon. Did you make your own torsion box or use a door?
Later, H

Yes it works great and thanks again for the plans. I strongly considered the door but ended up building the heavier torsion box. I am almost always flattening 8' or a bit longer boards and felt that the extra 16 or so inches in length would be beneficial.
Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 5:43am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sled in with: <snip> The adhesive backed tape that you put on stair steps to prevent slipping, added to the adjustable supports, hold the board quite well. <snip>
I don't like tape for that myself, so I'd prefer wedging it in place. But, that's me.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
(Leon)

I use the tape to keep the wedges from moving and to keep the supports from moving. Very effective.
Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 1:23am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: I use the tape to keep the wedges from moving and to keep the supports from moving. Very effective.
Can't argue with someting that works. I just don't like cleaning up after tape, or rubber cement. Which is why I used the cam clamps on my sled - they do the job, and no mess. But, that sled's served it's purpose, time to go larger, and a bit more sophisticated. Maybe even paint the next one. LMAO
JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.
(Leon)

There is nothing to clean up. No glue. The non slip material has a lining that you peal off and then you stick the tape on. I pulled the lining of and laid the wood supports and wedges side by side on the tape and then used a utility knife to cut the tape between all the pieces.
Hello Leon, Would could you please send a copy of those plans here too? Can you also reference which issue of FWW it appeared in? Thanks, Marc
Ihave a powermatic 15" planer with four infeed and outfeed roller. BE VERY CAREFUL ON THE OUTFEED SIDE. I foolishly dropped something and put my hand on one of the rollers as i bent over to pick up the wood and the wood i was planing hit my finges and fortunately i was able to pull them out without breaking or losing one of them. I have sinced changed to a solid cast set of tables. joe

Thanks for the warning but I already had that in mind when shopping. The Delta in feed and out feed tables are actually steel tables with 4 slots cut into them just large enough for the rollers to protrude through. The largest gap any where in the tables is about 1/8" wide.
If you can see your way to it, I'd love a copy of the plans as well!!!
Trace Wilson
traceDOTwilsonATtracewisonDOTcom