Flat stable Worksurface

I need to make a flat tabletop worksurface 40" x 96". It will only be supported 3 spots over the 96" length at 6", 48" and 90" from either end. I want to come back and measure it years from now and its still flat. The other criteria is I only have 4" of clearance below the top. Flatness should be what is praticle with an 8' straight edge and feeler gauges. Ideally a maple top that I could put an mdf wear surface on would be great except, I haven't had any luck finding one that size, and the cost of one smaller plus shipping is pretty hefty, $400+. It won't be supporting lots of weight, just the usual woodworking worktop. Ideas?

Phil

Reply to
Phil

torsion box

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Which ones? 0.001?? 0.01? How flat?

DJM built an assembly table flat "enough" for woodworking purposes using a torsion box approach with MDF skin.

Reply to
patrick conroy

I'm thinking granite, but 40 x96 x1.25 = 24 sq ft x $50 (est) = (approx) $1200.

You can probably find a better price.

It'll still be flat in 20 years tho.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Reply to
Phil

How about this:

patrick conroy

I am using my Dad's workbench. It is a 36" x 72" solid wood door, 1 1/2" thick from Weyerhauser. This door is 60 years old and still dead flat across the entire surface. It is supported by a 3x3 post on each corner - no support in the middle. This thing is so heavy my brother and I can barely carry it.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Torsion Box:

(2) sheets of 1/4" plywood (1) sheets of 3/4" birch plywood (2) sheets of 1/2" mdf glue Staples and gun.

Make the frame out of strips of 3/4" birch ripped to 3", with interior seperator strips "about" 6"-8" apart.

Skin it over on both sides with 1/4" ply using glue and staples. Top it off with 1/2" mdf.

Very flat and very strong.

How flat depends on you.

Phil wrote:

Reply to