flat bottom forstner bits

No one but yerself is positing that it even IS a problem.

You say, "if". What "if" it is NOT a problem? I suspect good forstner bits are jes as flat as those pricey pointless bits, with only the "point" extending beyond the flat cutter arms. In fact, if one has a drill press and good HSS bits, what's to prevent one from grinding down the "point".

According to Wiki, the main advantage to forstner bits was not the flat bottom:

"Originally the Forstner bit was very successful with gunsmiths because of its ability to drill an exceedingly smooth-sided hole."

Yes, I saw the comment about the flat bottom:

"(and incidentally spoils the otherwise flat bottom of the hole)".

Again, I say, who cares? Some anal purist, no doubt, but what with all those power tools in the mix, it's pretty silly. Besides, don't washers have a hole in the middle?

I'm rapidly beginning to suspect woodworking is merely yet another reason for men to buy/hoard a whole buncha specialized tools. I've got a 1/4" socket paring chisel coming tomorrow, which is amazing only due to the fact that I have no clue how I'm gonna use it w/o that necessary wooden mallet.

Yeah, I know. I'm already hooked. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

So, grind the point off!

I know the next power tool I buy will probably be some sorta drill press. My last DP was too heavy to move from CA to CO. :(

Things like forstner bits and hole saws should NOT be used with a hand held drill motor. That I know, for a fact! And, with a drill press, pilot holes are no longer so important.

nb

Reply to
notbob

notbob wrote in news:dlvtvuFmn1iU5 @mid.individual.net:

I put my Forstners in the handheld drill without a second thought. They do just fine and show very little tendency to grab or do anything crazy. And hole saws are often used in places where a handheld drill is the only way to make them work. Even if you could put a door under the drill press, you'd have to stand on it or something to reach the handles...

I have taken to drilling with the drill/driver clutch set to one notch below the maximum position. It does help in case of a catch. If I need more torque, it's easy to flip it over to maximum.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

May I offer a hardy "Not true!"?

There are so many projects that require the use of a hole saw or Forstner bit that simply can't be brought to the drill press.

I could list 5 or 6 recent projects that I've done by using both Forstner bits and hole saws in hand held drills.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Depends on how accurate you want to be. The pin point on the bit makes it easier to line up with the pencil dot on the board for dead center. But it does not make a difference in making the hold.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The larger the diameter, the greater the problem. Yer arm, yer choice.

Apparently, I'm still thinking old school metalworking. I have a 1/2" drive Milwaukee drill motor. Max 400 rpm, so it's high torque and no clutch. I was cutting concrete with a homemade 1-1/2" bore cutter bit. The cutter hit an I-beam and the drill motor tore itself outta my hands (trigger lock on) and didn't stop until the drill motor had wrapped itself in its own power cord and ripped the cord completely off the unit.

Using a hole saw to make a doorknob hole ina door. I see yer point about using the hole saw in wood. Never happen in metal. And using a drill motor with a clutch? Never thought of that, until you mentioned it. I have a DeWalt portable drill motor w/ clutch, so great tip. Thnx. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

What is that again?

I am talking about a Forstner bit vs. a regular twist bit, or brad point bit which do not leave flat bottoms.

Well leave it to Wiki to be the end all answer site. ;~)

Shickingly I can't say that I have ever had issue with a non smooth side unless using a spade type bit. Standard twist and brad point bits leave very smooth sides. Forstner bits mostly do exceptionally well at drilling into a surface at an angle and or cutting non full circle arc's indention or half circles.

Hummmmmmmmm. One poster asked and the question was answered. Now you are becoming all anal about your point of view.

Like trolling, do you?

Reply to
Leon

You might want to talk to a plumber or door installer about hole saws and hand drills.

Reply to
Leon

Precicely!

Reply to
Leon

Are you saying you would never use a hole saw with a hand held drill in metal?

Man, you must really subscribe to the old school methods.

Here, take a lesson.

DerbyDad03

No. Do you? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yes. Perhaps I was a bit too fast outta that gate. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

It was a drill press where I found out about the problem - the hard way! I had the work up against a fence and a stop - the stop should have been on the other end!

Reply to
Trenbidia

;~) Perhaps. Been there, done that, before myself.

Reply to
Leon

"FACT": know what you're talking before showing your ignorance.

Reply to
Swingman

FACT: Speak from personal experience, and not what you parrot from googlefu ...

Bon jour ...

Reply to
Swingman

I apologize fer applying my knowledge of metalworking to your world of woodworking. I spoke too soon and spoke from having very little real-world knowledge of woodworking. Obviously, they are not the same and I was wrong. But, I am trying to learn. Patience, please.

As fer "showing ... ignorance", hey, I can stand proud with the best of 'em. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

The problem is that your statement does not apply to metal work "Using a hole saw to make a doorknob hole ina door. I see yer point about using the hole saw in wood. Never happen in metal. "

I have used hole saws in a hand held drill to bore holes in metal countless times. I even posted a video of a guy using a cordless drill to bore a hole in a fairly thick piece of steel.

The only "fact" we can state is that not everything can be brought to a drill press. Some work must be done on site regardless of whether it's wood, metal, glass, plastic, whatever.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sorry, but I gotta disagree on that one.

Not only can the drill press be brought to the work, I've done it dozens of times. It's called a magnetic drill press and all one needs is to provide a sheet of megnetic metal near the drill point. No doubt you have a great collection of clamps.

Any volunteers to cut a doorknob hole using this anda hand drill motor?:

I've used one ona Bridgeport and it still wasn't pretty, but I got it to work at molasses-in-Jan feeds/speeds.

I'd love to see anyone here try and cut a 1-1/2" dia hole in 2 inches of T6 alum or acrylic plastic with a hand drill motor and a hole saw. Bring yer own EMT. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Actually so has the automotive industry. Hole saws were used with a hand held drill to add AC systems to vehicles as a retrofit many years ago. Refrigerant lines had to be run from under the hood through the firewall into the evaporator unit.

Reply to
Leon