flat bottom forstner bits

Page 2 of 3
On 2016-03-29, Puckdropper <puckdropper> wrote:

So, grind the point off!
I know the next power tool I buy will probably be some sorta drill press. My last DP was too heavy to move from CA to CO. :(
Things like forstner bits and hole saws should NOT be used with a hand held drill motor. That I know, for a fact! And, with a drill press, pilot holes are no longer so important.
nb

I put my Forstners in the handheld drill without a second thought. They do just fine and show very little tendency to grab or do anything crazy. And hole saws are often used in places where a handheld drill is the only way to make them work. Even if you could put a door under the drill press, you'd have to stand on it or something to reach the handles...
I have taken to drilling with the drill/driver clutch set to one notch below the maximum position. It does help in case of a catch. If I need more torque, it's easy to flip it over to maximum.
Puckdropper
On 2016-03-29, Puckdropper <puckdropper> wrote:

The larger the diameter, the greater the problem. Yer arm, yer choice.
Apparently, I'm still thinking old school metalworking. I have a 1/2" drive Milwaukee drill motor. Max 400 rpm, so it's high torque and no clutch. I was cutting concrete with a homemade 1-1/2" bore cutter bit. The cutter hit an I-beam and the drill motor tore itself outta my hands (trigger lock on) and didn't stop until the drill motor had wrapped itself in its own power cord and ripped the cord completely off the unit.

Using a hole saw to make a doorknob hole ina door. I see yer point about using the hole saw in wood. Never happen in metal. And using a drill motor with a clutch? Never thought of that, until you mentioned it. I have a DeWalt portable drill motor w/ clutch, so great tip. Thnx. ;)
nb
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 2:48:43 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

Are you saying you would never use a hole saw with a hand held drill in metal?
Man, you must really subscribe to the old school methods.
Here, take a lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj12WdVhOCc

On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 1:57:22 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

May I offer a hardy "Not true!"?
There are so many projects that require the use of a hole saw or Forstner bit that simply can't be brought to the drill press.
I could list 5 or 6 recent projects that I've done by using both Forstner bits and hole saws in hand held drills.
On 3/29/2016 1:57 PM, notbob wrote:

Depends on how accurate you want to be. The pin point on the bit makes it easier to line up with the pencil dot on the board for dead center. But it does not make a difference in making the hold.
On 3/29/2016 1:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Precicely!
On 3/29/2016 12:57 PM, notbob wrote:

You might want to talk to a plumber or door installer about hole saws and hand drills.

Yes. Perhaps I was a bit too fast outta that gate. ;)
nb
On 3/29/2016 4:30 PM, notbob wrote:

;~) Perhaps. Been there, done that, before myself.
On 3/29/2016 12:57 PM, notbob wrote:

"FACT": know what you're talking before showing your ignorance.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I apologize fer applying my knowledge of metalworking to your world of woodworking. I spoke too soon and spoke from having very little real-world knowledge of woodworking. Obviously, they are not the same and I was wrong. But, I am trying to learn. Patience, please.
As fer "showing ... ignorance", hey, I can stand proud with the best of 'em. ;)
nb
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 12:40:58 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

The problem is that your statement does not apply to metal working either.
You said:
"Using a hole saw to make a doorknob hole ina door. I see yer point about using the hole saw in wood. Never happen in metal. "
I have used hole saws in a hand held drill to bore holes in metal countless times. I even posted a video of a guy using a cordless drill to bore a hole in a fairly thick piece of steel.
The only "fact" we can state is that not everything can be brought to a drill press. Some work must be done on site regardless of whether it's wood, metal, glass, plastic, whatever.

Sorry, but I gotta disagree on that one.
Not only can the drill press be brought to the work, I've done it dozens of times. It's called a magnetic drill press and all one needs is to provide a sheet of megnetic metal near the drill point. No doubt you have a great collection of clamps.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/4270-20
Any volunteers to cut a doorknob hole using this anda hand drill motor?:
http://tinyurl.com/zqsws54
I've used one ona Bridgeport and it still wasn't pretty, but I got it to work at molasses-in-Jan feeds/speeds.
I'd love to see anyone here try and cut a 1-1/2" dia hole in 2 inches of T6 alum or acrylic plastic with a hand drill motor and a hole saw. Bring yer own EMT. ;)
nb
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 4:41:34 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

Please refrain from snipping relevant material from posts when replying.
I will repeat what you said once again so that you can see why you are are wrong:
"Using a hole saw to make a doorknob hole ina door. I see yer point about using the hole saw in wood. Never happen in metal. "
Note your use of the words "Never happen in metal."
That is the first place you where you are wrong. As stated by me, and as has been backed up by others, using a hole saw in a hand held drill in metal is commonplace.
You were wrong to use the word "never".

I never said the drill press can't be brought to the work but since you snipped so much of my post, I'll put it back in for you.
I said:
"The only "fact" we can state is that not everything can be brought to a drill press. Some work must be done on site regardless of whether it's wood, metal, glass, plastic, whatever."
It is an undeniable fact that not everything can be brought to the drill press. I will now add that the portable drill press cannot be brought to everything. Oh, sure, you can *bring* it, you just can't always *use* it.
Leon has already given one example of a situation where a portable drill press...
1 - Will not work 2 - Is not needed
I could list so many more situations where that is the case.

That's a lame example.
We can all find examples of situations where a hole saw in a hand held drill is not going to work. Those situations are not limited to metal, there are also situations where a hole saw in a hand held drill will not work in wood, plastic, glass, whatever. Who cares?
The fact is, your use of the words "*Never* in metal" are flat out wrong.
You said "Never in metal". I'll repeat that, with emphasis "*Never* in metal." *Never*
Are you really going to continue to defend that statement?
On 3/30/2016 6:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Sheeese, I'm not going to nitpick such things, but I agree with notbob, I'm not using a big hole saw in metal with that 1/2" drill of his. Well, not a second time. I've used a drill like that.

Thanks, Ed.
Ya' know I'm usually not this "contentious" (Mike's words). OTOH, I'm not gonna jes lie down and act like I know nothing! I didn't get my experience from FWW magazine. I got it from actually doing it! Working ina machine shop in one of our country's most reknown govt labs. And I'm not adverse to admitting I'm wrong. I've already done it. Here! But, I'll be damned if I'll pretend I'm wrong jes cuz someone sez I am.
With respect to woodworking cabinetry, I pretty much am clueless. Admittedly! That's not to say I know nada! I put in a year as an apprentice carpenter. I've got my late brother's tools and a few more I've picked up, over the yrs. Now, I'm learning cabinetry cuz I have to. I inherited my mom's home and the kitchen is falling apart and I gotta fix it. I may not be a master woodworker, but I'm far from a being a total neophyte. ;)
nb
notbob wrote:

Look guy - I'm not saying you have nothing to offer or that your questions are silly. I think a guy like you actually does have a lot to offer just like a guy like me has things to offer that may even be off to the side of actual woodworking. You seem to very knowledgeable in certain areas and I think that knowledge can be of great value to a group like this which is wider reaching than just woodworking. Believe it or not (your choice), I actually do genuinely respect the kind of knowledge a guy like you brings.
For me - it's all about the delivery. Most here would tell you that my delivery can be a bit on the harsh side from time to time, so that may sound a little ironic coming from me.
Tell you what - I'm willing to bury the hatchet and start from the beginning, if you are. Chock it up to just the way shit flows sometimes, and put it behind us.
Does that work for you?
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Like WD40! (jes kidding)
I'll try and ameliorate my delivery, too. No more "anal" remarks --which I'm sure didn't thrill the true WW masters in this group-- and I'll try and never say "never", again.
We're good ....and thank you for the peace offering. ;)
nb
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 8:08:18 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

Same here...