"Flashed" oak

Page 2 of 2
"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message

Yep ... it seems that somehow my daughters have the idea that they must give me flowers on Veteran's Day now. Where on earth that came from ... never mind, I can guess.
Wasn't/isn't Valentines Day a religious celebration, besides being the epitome of a "marketing gimmick"?
... Madison Ave loves it when they can kill multiple birds with one guilt trip.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

And whaddabout Thanksgiving? Right - not a "holiday" until mid 1800's, IIRC? Seem to recall Geo Washington was hot about it, but it languised until a magazine editor made it her crusade.
Swingman writes:

Oh, lord. Please, no.

Yeah, but I think the major observation that we have today is all marketing. Same with Halloween. When I was a wee bit younger, Halloween was an evening when you wore burnt cork on your face and old sheets on your body, with ribs drawn with cork. Made a helluva fine ghost. Now, costumes cost the earth, and every parent fears razor blades in apples and worse in candies.
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

tucson was part of mexico not all that long ago. there are still plenty of families here who were here, then.
snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com wrote:

Believe it or not, it's a big thing up here in NW Oregon too. (According to the 2000 census, my community (16,800 pop at the time) 35mi. SW of Portland has roughly 10% Hispanic population.)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (davidmc) wrote in message

Which way did the stripes go ? Along the grain, or across it ?
"Across" is your classic ray figure on white oak, maybe accentuated by finishing. Nice effect, but far from unusual. Most common around 1900.
"Along" sounds like it's poor quality brown oak. Brown oak is a fungal discolouration of white oaks, where the whole log picks up a deep brown colour. If it's consistent, the timber fetches a premium price. Half-browned though (which is pretty common, especially around the edges) is a stripey timber that few people want. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone start using it because it was cheap, then trying to push it as something special.
davidmc wrote:

Sicne the discussion seems to have degenerated, I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest the possibility that it might be "fumed" oak which was commonplace in arts-and-crafts furniture.
--
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Gee, and I was thinking it might have been from a little guy with a trench coat at the lumber yard. :)
Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

Probably what I saw on saturday in an antique place. They called it "flame oak". It was just quartersawn and looked good.