Flash Gordon Millwork, Inc.

This is out of The Woodwright's league and I know nobody has one in their basement, but is anyone here well versed in the laser cutting of wood? I have a project in mind and need to find out if it's feasable.
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com (in snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| This is out of The Woodwright's league and I know nobody has one in | their basement, but is anyone here well versed in the laser cutting | of wood? I have a project in mind and need to find out if it's | feasable.
You can cut (selectively burn) wood with a laser but the equipment is expensive and the process will produce smoke and ash that you'll need to deal with. You can find suitable cutting systems with a Google search.
After investigating laser cutting technology I chose a CNC router as a better solution to my requirements. I'd suggest investigating both approaches for your project.
They have a laser in production at the shop I work in. What did you want to know? They use it mostly for engraving type work but it will cut up to about 1/8" material, maybe thicker, I've not used it much myself. It is also great for inlay. You use it to scarf out the shape, then cut the exact same shape from veneer and lay it in. Very sweet.
They have a laser in production at the shop I work in. What did you want to know? They use it mostly for engraving type work but it will cut up to about 1/8" material, maybe thicker, I've not used it much myself. It is also great for inlay. You use it to scarf out the shape, then cut the exact same shape from veneer and lay it in. Very sweet.
Indeed, you read my mind. It's the inlay work I'm interested in. Is programming for a job as simple as inserting a cad file into a computer and putting the veneer into the machine? I know that sounds simplistic, but the projects I want to do are one off...one computer file for one cutting job. Each job would consist of an 8.5 X 11 inch stack of veneer, 4 or 5 sheets together. Then another pattern file and another stack of veneer, etc., as opposed to what I'm assuming would be the usual approach of 1 programming to produce 10,000 copies. If the setup is easy, the cost might be acceptable, is what I'm thinking, and have I explained enough to be getting an idea of cost?
I have about 6 years experience running a laser although I don't do that now. I can probably answer any questions you may have.
Will
willhathaway*at*hotmaildotcom

I have about 6 years experience running a laser although I don't do that now. I can probably answer any questions you may have.
Will
willhathaway*at*hotmaildotcom
Great. 1) You have stack of hardwood veneer about 1/4" thick and 8 1/2" X 11". It's adhesive-backed veneer. Would a laser cutter have any problems cutting an intricate pattern out of it? 2) I have AutoCad 2000 and Rhino. Are these programs in their generic versions capable of producing the files needed to program the laser? 3) If each stack of veneer came with different programming, what would be the approximate cost to do one?