Fixing worn trim

I have kitchen counter tops that are edged with a dark stained pine trim. Which has gotten worn over time, and shows light streaks. I have tried those "crayon" things from Home Depot with unsatisfactory results. What is the best way to hide these worn areas?
would it be hard to just sand them down and refinish them?
that or some old english might do it. for a while..
randy

If the areas are fairly small, use permanent (ie spirit-based, rather than water-based) felt-tipped pens. Protect the "repair" by wiping on a coat of thinned PU.
Cheers,
Frank