Fixing the yoke on a Jack Plane

I have several #5 jack planes where the yoke is broken...split apart. Is it possible to replace the yoke fairly easily? I see that they are held in place by a pin. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Jonesy

Reply to
Jonesy

Not sure what you are calling a "yoke", but I'm guessing it is the tote, the tallish handle at the rear that you hold with your dominant hand while pushing the plane. I have at least 1 that I have glued back together and reinstalled, and had no problem with. You can get replacement totes at Highland hardware among other places. Or it is easy (and rewarding) to carve your own--going not for an exact replica or a work of art, but rather comfort in your hand.

Reply to
alexy

Yes, someone here has done so and should chime in soon. A list pf parts is available

I'm not sure which part to tell you to order. You will break the frog if you try to punch out the retaining pin if you don't support it properly. I'd call Lori at 1-800-262-2161. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Alexy, the yoke is the wishbone looking piece that slides over the depth adjustment knob. It is responsible for raising and lowering the blade.

J> "J>

Reply to
Jonesy

I was racking my brain trying to figure out what part of a plane operated like a yoke, and never thought of that. And now that you say it, I wonder why it wasn't completely obvious.

Well, no help from this quarter on that one, although you might look at the plane repair kits from highland hardware. Don't know if they include that part.

Alex

Reply to
alexy

It's not a big deal. Make sure the frog is well supported and backed and use a punch to drive out the pin. The new yoke will come with a new pin.

RicodJour

Thanks Joe for the website, very helpful. I think this is the part that I'm looking for 12-005-22 "Y" Adjusting Lever & Pin but I will double check. Who is Lori?

J> J> > I have several #5 jack planes where the yoke is broken...split apart.

Reply to
Jonesy

Lori is the lady who handles repair parts. Or so I've gathered from reading here. Haven't called yet but I picked up a 78 in fair shape but missing fence, depth gage and spur so it's on my to do list. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Their $26.99 kit has it. Stanley sells the y-lever and pin separately for $1.00. The quality is not what it used to be, dunno about the quality of the parts in the Highland kits.

Reply to
fredfighter

Reply to
Jonesy

If your school also has a metalshop maybe they could make some for you.

Reply to
fredfighter