Fixing a 1hp Dayton TEFC motor

I picked up 3 motors this afternoon from someone who cleaned out their shed. I got a 1/6HP, a 3/4HP and a 1HP motor. The smaller ones are just your regular motor, and they fire up without a problem and sound good while running.
The 1 hp one doesn't work, though. When I give it power it just buzzes. SWMBO told me the lights inside the house almost went out when I was trying to get it to spin up. Do I need to replace the capacitor or something to get it to work? It's a bit rusty, but the spindle spins pretty easily. This link is to a new version of the one I've got: http://kingsolar.com/catalog/mfg/dayton/6k582.html
As to the others, would the 1/6HP one have enough guts to work as a grinder or would it bog down too easily?
I'm hoping I can use one of these motors to power a small lathe that I haven't built yet. I'd like to use the 1hp one, but I'm not sure it's the right motor for that kind of purpose, so the 3/4 one will probably go toward that.
I'd appreciate any help or advice, even if it's just a link to somewhere with some good info.
-Nathan
"N Hurst" wrote:

Probably.
3/4 HP would be better suited.
If it is a split phase unit, not a good choice for a lathe.
Lew

You need what is known as a "megger" or also a "growler" to determine if the motor has a short in the windings.
Any money spent to repair a 1HP motor is a waste of good money.
Take it to a motor shop and have them test it.
If they want anything more than $20 to look at it, toss it in the scrap heap.
Lew

How can I tell if it's a split phase motor? Also, since this is a stand alone motor, I could just switch belts between a grinder and a lathe setup.
Thanks for the information on the 1hp motor. I've got a local motor shop that should be able to help me out.
Is there any useful purpose I can put a 1/6HP motor to?
-Nathan
"N Hurst" wrote:

It won't have a capacitor "hump"

A shop cooling fan.