Fixed blade POWERED jointers.

Anyone seen a jointer that has a fixed blade? What I'm thinking is something like a jointer plane held upside down with a power feeder that rams the board over it, creating a nice smooth shaving along the length and width of the board. Have some strong featherboards pusing from the top and the side, and then a piston type thingy or something that feeds the board through.
JP **************** Just a thought...
Been done. There were a couple of different fixed blade surfacers from japan a few years ago. I don't know if they are still avialable. Instument makers really liked them
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
Ross wrote:

We had a brief discussion of them over on the OWWM. You can search the archives there for that. Hitachi and Makita made them. I did see one come across eBay a short time ago. It didn't fetch what I would have expected (1).
(1) They aren't cheap. From memory I'm thinking a grand or two ('Murikan).
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Just happened to be on the bay and saw this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item837669455
UA100

I seem to recall that there was also a knife sharpening accessory for these things too. The machine mentioned in the Ebay ad doesn't have that item listed with it. I'd imagine the quality of the edge of the blade is vitally important. And speaking of knives for these, where would one get some spares. I always keep spare knives around for my planer and jointer.
But at ~$400, it'd be an o.k. deal IMO.
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:33:31 +0000, Lazarus Long wrote:

Mebbe, but the Buy It Now price is $1000. At $400, the reserve hasn't been met. I doubt it'd go for less than $800. Interesting critter, though.
--
Joe Wells

That's a planer. Board goes between belt and blade.

Well, yeah. Both my planer and this supersurfacer, as they were called, have knives. In the case of my planer, 2, in the case of this supersurfacer, 1. Still need a spare or a replacement for it.

Can you provide a link? How was the quality of cut? I'm guessing that, as with all cutting tools, the honing of the blade would be vital...
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

Hmm. If you turn the blade lengthwise and apply it to a rotating log instead of a sliding board...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

That's what I'd call making pencils the _hard_ way. <grin>
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:39:04 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Or veneer.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

This is one of those backward tools. The shaving is the product (veneer) and the pencil is the waste (-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Yeah. like one of those strange food products: "First you throway the outside. And you cook the inside. Then you eat the outside, and throw away the inside."
Robert Bonomi wrote:

This might go the way of hardwoods -> tomatos...
I recall a story about the Spanish explorers who saw the local people picking and boiling some kind of bush bean. They explained to the Spaniards that the fresh beans had a horrible, bitter taste until boiled three times in fresh water. No one's terribly certain how it came about; but the Spaniards took up the practice of boiling the beans, then discarding the beans and drinking the water.
Hm. My cup's empty.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA