First time watching David Marks

Did I say something to lead you to believe that that I felt that Galleries were Museums?

In addition to the piece that is in the Hawaii Museum, there is The Museum of Craft and Folk Art , San Francisco, Sonoma County Museum, Santa Rosa, CA, San Jose Museum of Art, San Jose, CA, and teaching at the American Crafts Museum, New York, NY.

Reply to
Leon

Greg, you need to temper your hour with a view of Roy Underhill's "The Woodwright's Shop" program from PBS. He shows how to do some of this with simple hand tools as they did hundreds of years ago. Look for his books in the library. They're great.

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One of the things you have to understand is that a DIY show has a very small fraction of the budget that NYW has, and they do more shows than per season. So as a result, they are knocking out shows pretty quick. As for the sleeves, that's DIY. The smirk is probably the joke he can't tell becuase DIY is pretty restrictive on following the script. Do you see a pattern developing here? He does use hearing protection on the show, but I don't remember exactly what product. IIRC, it was some sort of ear plug. He knows a guy with a bigger jointer than his. He's a lot smoother in person than on the show.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

Interestingly, one of the simplest pieces he's made was a pure art piece, and sold for more than anything else. It's the one that comes up at

I think he said he got $20,000 for that one. His wife suggested he do more art pieces. ;-^

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

Yes, it's still in production. He has an upcoming show building a Krenov plane. Guess who the guest will be?

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

I agree, but Norm's had a few more years to polish his act. In addition, NYW isn't the only show he's been a part of. I like them both.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

True. But I also like them both, the few times I get to watch either one. We use basic cable, so my only chances for Marks are when I get down home and can turf the grandkids out of front of their 52" or whatever, with half a million channels.

Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.

Charlie Self

Yeah. What you wrote.

Which was not purchased by the museum.

Exhibitions. Some labeled as craft shows.

Many of his pieces aren't in museums around the country.

Most artists that I have known consider the work to be the accomplishment. You could certainly argue that he is one.

Reply to
p_j

Absolutely no indicator that galleries are musieums.

Well Ok, many of his pieces "have been" displayed in many museums around the country, just like many other displays in most museums. None the less, his work has been and probably, will be in the future, displayed in a museum.

Reply to
Leon

You still can't say that based on his webpage, but who cares. FYI, being in a county museum show of crafts is more than a little different than being in a major city museum collection.

Museums display just about everything the mind can imagine.

Tough nut to crack, particularly for someone who works in furniture. Maybe a design collection, but fine art is a long shot, most of which has nothing to do with the quality of his work.

Reply to
p_j

Just goes to show the size of the jointer ain't what makes an artist. Which one is it?

What's his wife like?

Reply to
p_j

Didn't meet his wife. He related the story during his presentation. The piece is the one that is a round disk with a vertical diamond (with round sides, don't know what the shape would normally be called) through it. It's the one that comes up when you first enter his site at the above address.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

I wish he would also show building of some of the templates he uses. If you start with a pre-made template then the lesson of doing the real thing is lost.

Reply to
Ocky

The show about making the bent lamination jarra lamp, he goes into great detail about the template and bend mould.

Reply to
Bruce

On 29 Feb 2004 16:11:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Ocky) brought forth from the murky depths:

Say you want to build a round oak blurfl by the thousands.

To make a blurfl, you need a drawing for the legs, the skirt, and the top.

To make the template for the top, use the drawing to lay out lines on a piece of MDF or baltic birch plywood. Cut just outside the lines and sand to smooth right down to the line.

To make an actual top, set the template on the piece of wood you want to cut, mark a line around the template, and cut to outside of the line. Use double-sided tape to stick the template to the wood and use the template as a bearing guide for the router. Rout around the piece and remove the template.

Tip: In most cases, the template is simply a piece cut to the exact same size and shape as the intended piece.

.-. Better Living Through Denial ---

Wondrous Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques