First time watching David Marks

Page 2 of 3

You mean like the photo of me in the Makita M-Force ads? <G>
Barry
Was that really you in the bikini??? Maybe I am thinking of the old Makita calendars. LOL
Larry Bud wrote:

No kidding.
Even the 'news' is questionable.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Snip

Yeah..LOL... I uh.. remember being bothered by the smirk also. I got the impression that he was stoned. Anyway, you get past that and realize that he is quite accomplished. He was well on his way long before this TV show. Have you seen his web site?
Leon wrote:

His smirk still bothers me.
At first I thought it was because he was some type of smartass.
Then I realized he was being paid to be on TV showing how to build something he was going to sell for more money, he probably scored a new light system because can't have any kind of shadow on TV. And guessing from other threads on Marks , Marks was counter culture, long hair and tattoos. Now he's main stream and all he had to do was cut his hair and wear a long shirt. He has a bunch of hard core conformists, the 9 to 5ers, tuning into him to see how things are done.
I'd smirk to.
He IS some kind of smart ass, and the jokes on us.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Damn Mark you got issues buddy......
Jim

"Mark"wrote in message

... and who apparently love the word "smirk".
Seeing how he's an artiste, I'd classify it as closer to a Mona Lisa grin.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/26/04

Counter culture... I don't think so, this guy is an accomplished artist with many of his pieces in museums around the country. Check out his BIO at his web site http://www.djmarks.com / Most counter culture types I have seen want nothing to do with culture and museums and galleries and collections and exhibitions and TEACHING and publications numerous affiliations. I'm guessing also that he pays for nothing to have that show produced. None of the above mentioned has happened since he has shown up on TV. The TV gig has come along after a long long list of accomplishments... Check the web site.

Galleries are not museums.
Kudos to him for the explanation of how a piece of his got into the Hawaii museum. It was bought by someone else and donated. An old technique that is almost always masked. The variation that allows anyone to have a piece of their furniture in any museum is merely to donate it with something that the museum wants and make the two contigent.

Those places are filled with them. Its just that most are slightly older and propagate, nest, etc.

Did I say something to lead you to believe that that I felt that Galleries were Museums?
In addition to the piece that is in the Hawaii Museum, there is The Museum of Craft and Folk Art , San Francisco, Sonoma County Museum, Santa Rosa, CA, San Jose Museum of Art, San Jose, CA, and teaching at the American Crafts Museum, New York, NY.

Yeah. What you wrote.

Which was not purchased by the museum.

Exhibitions. Some labeled as craft shows.
Many of his pieces aren't in museums around the country.
Most artists that I have known consider the work to be the accomplishment. You could certainly argue that he is one.

Absolutely no indicator that galleries are musieums.

Well Ok, many of his pieces "have been" displayed in many museums around the country, just like many other displays in most museums. None the less, his work has been and probably, will be in the future, displayed in a museum.

You still can't say that based on his webpage, but who cares. FYI, being in a county museum show of crafts is more than a little different than being in a major city museum collection.

Museums display just about everything the mind can imagine.

Tough nut to crack, particularly for someone who works in furniture. Maybe a design collection, but fine art is a long shot, most of which has nothing to do with the quality of his work.
One of my mates at school had a face that naturally smirked. Even when he was in deep trouble the smirk was there (and he certainly wasn't feeling like smiling) however it just annoyed the teachers even more...
--
Just a smile. Just a glance.

The guy isn't the issue with me, I like him, probably a good person. I'd like to see the show more often.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

If I had the U.S.S Enterprise for a jointer, I'd be smirking a lot too.
--
Charles Jones
snipped-for-privacy@frii.com

DIY won't let him show his tatoo(s).
I'm sure the smirk reflects some sort of disdain for the simplistic projects he builds on the show. If you look at his website, you'll see that what he builds on the show is very basic compared to his gallery and art pieces. Kinda like Norm banging together a pine birdhouse on TV.
Jon E
Or, it may merely be his normal facial contour.
Gotta love conspiracy theories....
message

"George" wrote in message

The 'smile that irks' - "smirk".