First time watching David Marks

I don't consider it a factor as to whether or not I will watch, but it's just an observation. It's not often you see a guy who is on TV that isn't groomed for TV.

Well, TV *ISN'T* reality. Even his show isn't reality, based on the fact that he doesn't build his projects in 30 minutes.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Larry Bud responds:

Oh, I dunno. Norm is fairly real, I think. But I always get a kick out of people who complain of the lack of reality on TV: back in the early '70s (?), a program called Nurse came on with, IIRC, Diana Ross as star. Big bitch: the show didn't show REAL black life styles. Oddly enough, when John Boy and kind popped up on The Waltons, no one raised a bitch about it not showing real depression era farm life. My mother was raised in that area and her family spread over the era, with my grandfather owning a farm/sawmill just outside Gordonsville, VA. You can bet on some things: the family didn't have a truck and cars for each member. The house was large, but the lights were kerosene. The house oftenlooked shabby because all the farm buildings got whitewashed before it did. And on.

Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.

Charlie Self

The 'smile that irks' - "smirk".

Reply to
Swingman

LOL ... Is that not _exactly_ what I said?

Read, once again, my above remark about the "unreality of TV".

However, the fact that he is NOT an actor playing the part of a woodworker is what's throwing some of you in your expectations. That's why Madison Avenue uses the handsome, rugged, manly stereotypes in all the woodworking ads ... they don't want you to be so easily distracted by reality when you're not used to it.

Reply to
Swingman

Nothing. I was just illustrating the difference as I see it. I occasionally watch Norm but after that show where he made a poorly designed, poorly executed, not well thought out melamine laundry fiasco, I lost a little respect for him. JMO Dave

TeamCasa

Hi Swingman,,

I went over to Americtec Machinery this morning. Don't bother. Strictly INDUSTRIAL sized equipment unless you want a 16" jointer or 48" wide belt sander.. ;~)

They mentioned A to Z Equipment though... I'll have to check into that.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for the report, Leon. What I would _really_ like is a shop that would justify a 16" jointer. :)

Reply to
Swingman

You might like their "Woodworking" show better. It is definitely the opposite end of the board.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Well, I agree. The same thing happens to me when I go to an art museum. I mean, do they really think an average person can paint that well? Get real. I mean, where is the finger painting? paint-by-number? Bob Ross originals? It's really annoying being exposed to something challenging and above my abilities/means. I think I better close my mind a little more.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Yeah.. LOL The guy from Miniwax shows you how to belt sand the finish on a table, cut wood with his make believe RAS, which is really a slider CMS, and then nail everything together.. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, TC. I thought the normal progression was from newbie to intermediocre, carpenter, finish carpenter, woodworker, then finally artiste.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:45:38 -0600, "Lowell Holmes" brought forth from the murky depths:

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've attributed that "smirk" to him being ill at ease on TV. Nothing more. He had an episode on selecting and buying wood, in it he met with a couple of fellows and all of them seemed very uncomfortable in front of the camera, resulting in more than a few good unintentional comedy moments. BUT, the episode was excellent, I learned a great deal. I love the show, got TiVo set up to snag every episode. It records 4 or

5 a week.
Reply to
Kevin

I think this is the show I watched part of, after 10 minutes I couldn't take it anymore.

If I need a sick laugh at how not to do something I'll tune it in again.

Reply to
Mark

No kidding.

Even the 'news' is questionable.

Reply to
Mark

Galleries are not museums.

Kudos to him for the explanation of how a piece of his got into the Hawaii museum. It was bought by someone else and donated. An old technique that is almost always masked. The variation that allows anyone to have a piece of their furniture in any museum is merely to donate it with something that the museum wants and make the two contigent.

Those places are filled with them. Its just that most are slightly older and propagate, nest, etc.

Reply to
p_j

What's the breakdown?

Is it:

!) carpenter of non-wood

2)carpenter 3)woodworker 4)fine woodworker 5)artist woodworker 6)artist who happens to use wood

I haven't seen the show, but I sure wish I could. Thanks to whoever posted the url. I didn't see a single thing in his that I would want to make, but lots of them get you thinking.

Kind of ironic that he is talking about covering the sacred wood.

"The patina finish that is a trademark of my work, is a hybrid I've developed over the last decade. It combines painting, gilding (metal leafing), chemical patinas, and lacquering techniques. The complex layers result in something that gives the appearance of a faux, ancient, petrified stone quality."

I thought that kind of thing would have made him Un-Wreck-PC.

If you like that kind of stuff, you'd enjoy going to most any better college fine arts show that has woodworking as part of their fine arts program. Because they have so much time, some nice equipment and the fire of youth, they make some wild and complex projects.

Reply to
p_j

Take a ride down I-95 to the Yale Art Museum sometime. You'll feel the same way about furniture.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

You mean like the photo of me in the Makita M-Force ads?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

One of my mates at school had a face that naturally smirked. Even when he was in deep trouble the smirk was there (and he certainly wasn't feeling like smiling) however it just annoyed the teachers even more...

Reply to
Don Mackie

Was that really you in the bikini??? Maybe I am thinking of the old Makita calendars. LOL

Reply to
Leon