First time watching David Marks

Page 1 of 3
Please, no flames for some criticism. I like his show...
I'm usually on my way to work at 7:30 in the morning, but happened to stay home today. Great stuff, cool project of a glass table with two supports with a 15" radius, held together with 3 copper pipes. I liked most of his methods.
I did cringe, however, when he was running these slats through the jointer without a push stick. Once slip, and he's going to be missing some fingers. I also didn't notice any hearing protection.
Once of the things that really bugged me though, was this constant smirk he seemed to have when describing a woodworking procedure. Almost like there was some inside joke he had with the crew! I don't know his personality, and frankly he has terrible TV presence, but wondering if he's always smiling like this.
"Larry Bud" wrote in message

I watch the show because of his high level of woodworking skills and never even considered his "TV presence" as a factor worthy of my consideration
Could it be that you've been raised on the unreality of TV and he's a real woodworker, not some actor hired to play a part?
No flame ... just curious.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/26/04

"Greg" wrote in message

Most of his pieces are interesting to me for the joinery and technique's he uses, including his frequents, and often ingenious, use of templates. I am always trying to anticipate how, where and why he will use a certain cut, tool, or method ... I am getting better at guessing what he'll do next.
Some of the 'round' things he builds, like the mirror stand, are doubly interesting for the methodology, although, like you, I doubt whether I'll ever be interested in doing them.
You gotta respect the man's output of woodwork ... it is inarguably artistic and functional, but still accessible to the average wooddorker who wants to put his shoulder to the wheel. The more I learn and attempt do myself, particularly in the area of design, the more I am impressed with his talent.
... and that by gawd ain't a "smirk", it's a shit eating grin from doing what he loves to do, and doing it well enough to be successful in a tough age.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/26/04

www.penartists.com

Yes, it's still in production. He has an upcoming show building a Krenov plane. Guess who the guest will be?
Cheers, Eric
You might like their "Woodworking" show better. It is definitely the opposite end of the board.

Yeah.. LOL The guy from Miniwax shows you how to belt sand the finish on a table, cut wood with his make believe RAS, which is really a slider CMS, and then nail everything together.. ;~)
Pounds on Wood wrote:

I think this is the show I watched part of, after 10 minutes I couldn't take it anymore.
If I need a sick laugh at how not to do something I'll tune it in again.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
message

Greg, you need to temper your hour with a view of Roy Underhill's "The Woodwright's Shop" program from PBS. He shows how to do some of this with simple hand tools as they did hundreds of years ago. Look for his books in the library. They're great.
.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Well, I agree. The same thing happens to me when I go to an art museum. I mean, do they really think an average person can paint that well? Get real. I mean, where is the finger painting? paint-by-number? Bob Ross originals? It's really annoying being exposed to something challenging and above my abilities/means. I think I better close my mind a little more.
<preceding diatribe written in the age-old style of Sarcasm Extroidinaire>
Mike

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:32:18 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"

Take a ride down I-95 to the Yale Art Museum sometime. You'll feel the same way about furniture. <G>
Barry
I had the privilege of having lunch with David Marks at the Ontario Woodworking Show a few weeks ago. I can attest that David is not only a real woodworker but he's also a friendly guy who does tend to smile a lot. My impression is that he really enjoys life and is still somewhat surprised by the recognition the show has brought him. As to smirking at an inside joke with his crew, I doubt it, since I observed no sarcastic or snide side to his personality.

I don't consider it a factor as to whether or not I will watch, but it's just an observation. It's not often you see a guy who is on TV that isn't groomed for TV.

Well, TV *ISN'T* reality. Even his show isn't reality, based on the fact that he doesn't build his projects in 30 minutes.
Larry Bud responds:

Oh, I dunno. Norm is fairly real, I think. But I always get a kick out of people who complain of the lack of reality on TV: back in the early '70s (?), a program called Nurse came on with, IIRC, Diana Ross as star. Big bitch: the show didn't show REAL black life styles. Oddly enough, when John Boy and kind popped up on The Waltons, no one raised a bitch about it not showing real depression era farm life. My mother was raised in that area and her family spread over the era, with my grandfather owning a farm/sawmill just outside Gordonsville, VA. You can bet on some things: the family didn't have a truck and cars for each member. The house was large, but the lights were kerosene. The house oftenlooked shabby because all the farm buildings got whitewashed before it did. And on.
Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.

I agree, but Norm's had a few more years to polish his act. In addition, NYW isn't the only show he's been a part of. I like them both.
Cheers, Eric
Eric Lund writes:

True. But I also like them both, the few times I get to watch either one. We use basic cable, so my only chances for Marks are when I get down home and can turf the grandkids out of front of their 52" or whatever, with half a million channels.
Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
"Larry Bud" wrote in message

LOL ... Is that not _exactly_ what I said?

<sigh> Read, once again, my above remark about the "unreality of TV". However, the fact that he is NOT an actor playing the part of a woodworker is what's throwing some of you in your expectations. That's why Madison Avenue uses the handsome, rugged, manly stereotypes in all the woodworking ads ... they don't want you to be so easily distracted by reality when you're not used to it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/26/04

"Leon" wrote in message

Thanks for the report, Leon. What I would _really_ like is a shop that would justify a 16" jointer. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/26/04