First time scroll sawer

I just picked up a scroll saw from our local Homier tool show. The problem I seem to be having is the blade seems to have a mind of its own and wanders off course. Straight cuts are no problem but when I try to cut curves the blade tends to turn at an angle to the cut I'm making and off course I go! I have the tension on the blade set to the specs of no more then 1/8" side movement. I "think" I'm feeding the stock slow enough, but the blade still bends and the cut starts to wander. Any suggestions? Thanks.

First question I have for you is what kind of blade are you using? As far as the "right" tension, it should sound like a high "C"....think of it as tuning the strings on a guitar. 1/8" side to side movement sounds like an awful lot to me although I never measure it. My first thought is that your blade isn't tensioned enough, not enough tension makes it virtually impossible to follow a line. It's something you get a feel for with experience. Just takes lots of practice, I've made a lot of nice scroll sawn firewood while learning.
Hope this helps,
Kevin Daly http://hometown.aol.com/page1.html
I am with Kevin on the blade tension. 1/8 inch seems quite loose. Also one problem I had when starting out was unconsciously pushing from the side of the stock into the blade instead of feeing the cuts from the front. I don't know if this makes any since but I am to tired to articulate it any better right now. Puff

I tighten up the tension on the blade and in keeping what Puff said about feeding from the front and not pushing from the side made a world of difference. Far from a Pro but considerable improvement. THANKS
MikeS wrote:

Increase tension. Blade quality is very important. I have had good luck with Blades from www.mikesworkshop.com He will even send free samples of the blades he sells.
I am fairly new to scroll sawing. Some of my recent wooworking projects can be seen at http://rayr.150m.com/Woodwork2/woodwork2.html My scroll saw was used on most of them.
Definitely you have some nice work there. Gives me incentive to keep trying!

Very good looking work Ray. If you're that new, you've come a long way quickly.
Keep making sawdust,
Bob McConnell N2SPP

Ray I don't believe you are new to scrollsawing I looked at your work and it's very impressive, too impressive for a beginner.

Probably just a practice & technique issue. When you advance the workpiece into the blade, the work must always be positioned so that the saw blade is going "straight" into the work, hope you can visualize what I mean by this. By all means experiment with blade tension and try another blade, but most likely it's just a questoon of practice, practice, practice...
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland