First router; Hitachi KM12VC VS Dewalt DW616PK

Hiya... I just bought the Dewalt DW616PK as my first router, and haven't opened it yet. I just noticed the Hitachi KM12VC is on sale for about the same price with a free orbital sander to boot. The Dewalt isn't a variable speed unit, and the Hitachi is. I want to get this right, so some opinions would be much appreciated. I have read some comments regarding the lack of variable speed, and now i'm all convinced that without variable speed, I am going to burn wood and be unhappy with the Dewalt if I use a 1/2 inch bit.
Basically I want a plunge/fixed combo for under $200, and I would like to buy the best one I can for the money. Thanks for any help any of you could give me!
Mike C

Go change it to the Hitachi...go on...get going...come on, <G>
I couldn't live without variable speed. Certainly not on a brute like that.
Unless you are going to use it in a table with large bits, VC is meaningless. And by large bits I don't mean 1/2" shaft, but 4" panel cutters.
Now if you will be doing any woodworking at all you will certainly be using a table, but not necessarily with this router.
I haven't used either, so I obviously have no opinion on which is the better buy.

Nope. Wrong answer. Those variable speeds also include soft start, which is definitely something you want.
Minor convenience. Not enough to base a decision on.
Those variable speeds also include soft start, which

I own and use 6 different routers and to be honest none have VS and none are solf start... no real reason for me to run out and buy a router with either....
Bob G.

C'mon, you can admit it. MUCH nicer when it doesn't jump.
A heck of a lot more application with the 616/618. See link for some experience:
http://www.patwarner.com/dw618pk.html *****************************************
Mike Cole wrote:

Thanks for the link, but I don't have the 618..I have the 616 which doesn't have variable speed.

Since you asked... I'd say keep your Dewalt kit and if you really need a cheap RO sander, get a Ryobi at the orange borg for $35. If you don't, keep the nicer router. I have the 618, and like it very much, but the variable speed isn't what I like best - the overall quality and solid-ness is. It is also versatile - fits PC sub-bases etc. VS and soft start are convenient, and can reduce burning sometimes. Unless you're doing raised panels or other very large bits, VS isn't really necessary. If you want it, though, and you might return the 616 anyway, look into the dewalt 618 kit - only a little over $200 (try Amazon, Google, maybe Amazon reconditioned, or toolsdirect.com says 110% price guarantee so see if they'll beat Amazon...). That's my advice. Remember, though, that a piece of advice is like a butt - everyone has one and most of them stink. Andy

Ha, ha, ha as the wheel turns, it's now turning into a Karlgate like Watergate in the Nixon's White House. Start with Tom DeLay, than Bill Frist, Karl Rove with Lewis Libby and now maybe Cheney too...?