First piece of furniture.

Hi to all.

I have been an occasional visitor to this site and have gained a lot of useful information. Most of the woodwork I do is of the renovation variety, hardly fine woodwork, Anyway we needed a round table to seat 8 so I decided to give it a try. I think it turned out well but time will tell. If the veneer is still on it 10 years from now then I will congratulate myself.

I can't get A.B.P.W. so I have put up a slide show on my web site. Take a look and let me know what you think. Yes I know it is too damn heavy but then I don't need to move it!

Pics at

Rhodes in Nova Scotia

Reply to
Dave Rhodes

All I can say is wow! Nice work on the veneer!

-AD

Dave Rhodes wrote:

Reply to
Adam Diehl

Looks good to me. Nice job on the pedestal and beautiful veneer on the top!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Very nice work!

Reply to
Chuck Hoffman

Dave,

Really nice work.

I have a few questions.

  1. It looks like an Oak apron and it looks like some Luan on the underside of the top. What type of veneer is it on the top? Is it an MDF top with veneers? Whait is the pedestal made of and what is the base made of?

  1. In the final shot the top looks lacquered its so flat and shiney. What finish is used. Any staining, or oil?

  2. What were the major tools you used for this project?

  1. What method did you use for veneering? A vacuum press? Contact cement?

Reply to
Bill Wallace

Dave, I think if I were you I would see if I could do that again, and again, and again, and again.... '~) Nice job.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks to all who took the time to look.

Bill If you click on the thumbnails you get a larger picture with some explanation under it but to answer your questions anyway. All of the veneer is butternut because I love the color, The supports are stained ash, the apron is ash cut into 1/8" strips on the band saw and cold bent into a 4 layer 1/2" thick circle. It is veneered on the outside in butternut. The pedestal is 3/4" MDF panels grooved full length and jointed with

1/8" ply. The flair is also MDF coverd on the table saw. The base is 2 layers of 3/4" plywood and a layer of 3/4" MDF each side. The plywood extends into the feet which are laminated from 3 layers of 4/4 butternut. My shop (converted garage) has a delta contractor type table saw, a 14" general international band saw, a radial arm saw, a large home made router table that doubles as an edge jointer. I use a 1/2" dia 3" long 4 flute milling cutter on an Hitachi MV12 to straighten boards. Does a fantastic job and only costs $10.00. One thing I do have that not many shops have is an old pantograph machine. I bought it for $250.00 as nobody uses them anymore they all use CNC machines. It weighs 900kg so hard to move but has two work tables each with 3 axis hand feed and dial read out to the 0.001". Both tables can also be rotated. This lets me clamp cutting tools such "as the router" to one table and work pieces to the other. I did the final truing of the apron and the table top on this set up. All of the veneer was applied using the iron on method and yellow wood work glue. I tested this method on a coffee table a few years ago with great success. The finish is Deft brushing gloss lacquer. It was applied with a japanese varnish brush, and wet sanded to a 1500 grit finish. A coat of sand sealer was applied first to bring out the colour.

On a side note I learned the hard way not to push the last bit of the ash through the band saw with a 3 tooth resaw blade installed. It jumped the last inch and I sawed part way down the length of my finger and required 5 stitches. Then I made a real handy setup with a pair of 3" diameter roller blade wheels mounted on a spring loaded pivot. This held the wood against the fence really well and kept my fingers well away. I am a machine designer by trade and can usually improvise any jig or setup required. By the way this project was started in February and only completed in November. Such is the fate of the working man.

Dave

Bill Wallace wrote:

Reply to
Dave Rhodes

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Thanks for all the info. That is a some very cool design elements and the final outcome is very well balanced (looking).

Great finish from a brush. Lacquer is great to work with and you did a nice job.

Have you started on the chairs yet?

BW

Reply to
Bill Wallace