First go at wet sanding.

FWIW, tried wet sanding with mineral spirits the first time today. 800 grit cuts like crazy. Stearated paper doesn't really give the same result.

The 800 sanding by hand seems to cut faster than stearated 400 on a ROS, while still giving greater control.

Incidentally I found that one doesn't necessarily have to use paper rated for wet sanding to sand with mineral spirits instead of water--the paper rated for wet sanding is _water_ proof, doesn't say anything about mineral spirits, and the non-waterproof 800 grit that Woodcraft sells seems to work fine--before shelling out for waterproof I'd try whatever I had.

Also, mineral spirits seems to be similar to paraffin oil, but thinner--tried both and they both worked but the paraffin oil was thick enough that sanding got difficult if I let the oil film get thin--mineral spirits didn't do that.

Wish I'd tried this a long time ago, I'd have saved myself much frustration and needless effort.

Considering how nice the finish looks at 800 I'm wondering how it's going to look after the Rottenstone.

Was dripping the mineral spirits from the can, but put some in a squeeze bottle for better control.

Any hints or tips?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Tack like mad. The haze left on the surface of a wet-sanded finish can be a bear to get off. Solvent rags just move it around.

Reply to
George