First Dresser Update

Still working on my future sons dresser. I have been working on the drawers that are constructed using a screw reinforced rabbett joint. I am using drawer slides and realized after assembling (no glue only screw) the drawers that I need a larger gap at the top so that the drawer guides will ride over the little bumps/humps. Now I have to re-rip all the drawers down to the required gap. Crap.

You can see it here: The drawers are not screwed to the slides yet (the only way I could get the drawers in for the picture until I make the fix).

still need to make the drawer fronts. Please give feedback.

Thanks

Reply to
stoutman

You live and learn ... ALWAYS read the literature for you drawer slides before you build your casework and drawers, as you've found out.

Any time you have to tip a drawer to get it into the slot, the drawer height becomes muy important.

Good thing is that with false fronts drawer fronts your design mistake is easily rectified, no one but us will ever know, and you'll be able to brag in the future about the evenness in height of the top, back and sides of your drawers.

... and another lesson to take to heart for those folks who foolishly wanted to do their drawers first.

BTW, you are gonna plug those screw holes, right?

Reply to
Swingman

Now you know why Norm almost always does a "prototype"....

MDF and melamine are your friend....(cheap prototype)

Next time..."always" buy the hardware before c> Still working on my future sons dresser. I have been working on the drawers

Reply to
Pat Barber

Hopefully this is one of those mistakes you only make once!

Now you tell me... :)

Yes, I'm plugging with cherry. The drawer pulls will also be made of cherry.

Reply to
stoutman

The more it hurt$, the more that is likely. ;)

That even makes _me_ feel better. ;) Seriously, it's gonna be a nice project and you've a right to be proud of it as it will become a family heirloom.

Reply to
Swingman

Thank you. It's a good thing I did a drawer test fit before using glue!

Reply to
stoutman

What kind of joints did you use to assemble the frame?

Reply to
Locutus

I used all loose tenon joinery with the exception of the lower front rail where I used biscuits.

Reply to
stoutman

I did the same thing but after I had glued. So I ended up ripping completed drawers, kind of how when you make a box then rip it to make the lid open, just rotated the 4 sides through the saw.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

| Still working on my future sons dresser. I have been working on | the drawers that are constructed using a screw reinforced rabbett | joint. I am using drawer slides and realized after assembling (no | glue only screw) the drawers that I need a larger gap at the top so | that the drawer guides will ride over the little bumps/humps. Now | I have to re-rip all the drawers down to the required gap. Crap.

Sure am glad _I_ never made a misteak like that. :-D

| | You can see it here: The drawers are not screwed to the slides yet | (the only way I could get the drawers in for the picture until I | make the fix). | |

|| I still need to make the drawer fronts. Please give feedback.

In spite of the short delay while some minor adjustments are being made, it appears to me that things are proceeding pretty smoothly for a first time effort.

I'm looking foreward to seeing your pictures of the finished dresser!

Morris Dovey