First Dresser

Check out my progress on my first dresser for my future son (due in Feb).

I need to start on the drawers. Ughh!

stoutman

Nice construction. Did you strt out with the intention of the top being made with different color boards?

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Nope. I didn't know they had any color until I started the milling proccess. I could have gone back to the lumber yard, but I decided to just go with it. I kind of like it. I think.

Reply to
stoutman

I like it.

I'm a big fan of simple, clean designs.

Since your dresser is a simple, clean design, I think the color swatches in the top work well. Just a simple rub with BLO and a suitable clear finish will make it look outstanding.

I'm just starting a king sized maple platform bed with a birdseye headboard. The client chose for me to leave the heartwood and pitch pockets in, as opposed to shooting for only the lighter sapwood. As I'm laying out the parts, I'm getting excited about the same variations seen in your top.

Keep us up to date! Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

with different color boards?

I could have gone back to the lumber yard, but I

Looks real nice. How did you join the side rails to the front and back frame?

Reply to
Michael

Thanks Barry!

Reply to
stoutman

Thanks.

I used mortise and loose tenon joinery through the entire carcass. I became a big fan of this type of joinery after getting frustrated with traditional tenons. My shoulders would sometimes not lining up all the way around the stock using traditional tenons. After watching David Marks on TV (almost always uses loose M&T's) I started to use loose M&T's.

The plywood sides sit in a rabbet that are held in place with metal fasteners.

Reply to
stoutman

the drawers done by then (DAMHIKT).

Mark & Juanita

thank you. Yep, next weekend SHE has got me painting the baby's room. Very little saw dust will be made next weekend. :(

stoutman