First day with mortising machine(14-651) and it broke!!

I took it upon myself to build some mission style furniture. The bed had near 100 mortises - so I figured that this was the perfect time to buy a mortising machine. After researching, I bought a Delta 14-651 Mortising machine. I unboxed it today, set it up - and was practicing vefore making some mortises on the legs of the bed. on around the 3rd or 4th pass - a stupid 25 cent pin broke on the handle, and now I can't use it. Call me a little frustrated!!

Reply to
Skippy

"It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines

Reply to
David DeCristoforo

But if you're talking about the Woodsmith mission bed, there are very few mortices that need to be cut with a mortiser...

-Michael

Reply to
Michael R. Dow

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:08:42 GMT, "Skippy" brought forth from the murky depths:

Didn't check with Griz for the Shop Fox, didja? C'est la vie.

-------------------------------------------------- I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2003 (from Oregon) ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Larry Jaques

I had a problem with my new Delta 14-651 Mortiser too - damaged in shipping. The box was full of styrofoam, no damage externally, but somehow the casing (the cast piece that contains the gearing and comprises the moveable part) got broke. All that styrofoam, and the casting still broke.

Called Delta/PC and they asked a few questions (have your serial number with you when you call!), but shipped me a new casing. Got it in less than a week. Get this - no cushioning material whatsoever in the package, and NO damage either!

Brian

Reply to
Beep

With mine, the fence (when locked down) was not parallel with the base. It had been machined incorrectly. Delta support would not believe me, until I posted photos on my web site. They shipped me a replacement.

Reply to
Jonathan Oman

Jonathan Oman wrote in news:BVanb.16513$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I bought one the other day that that has the same problem. Almost

1/4" out of parallel from one end of the fence to the other. I bought the demo model at the local Woodcraft store, that was supposed to be only missing the chuck key. When I got it home, I found out the bushing for the bit was the wrong size (3/4" instead of 5/8"), & the switch safety lock pin was missing in addition to the chuck key. To Delta's credit though, I called to order the parts and they sent me the chuck key, safety lock and a new 5/8" bushing. Free of charge, thank you very much. I think I will call them back and let them kow about the fence issue also.
Reply to
Michael Burton