First "Commisioned" Project Done - Lessons Learned

Page 3 of 3

"Bob G." wrote:

...regarding not taking "commissioned" work as isn't fun or self-chosen...

All depends -- when I was young and needing extra income, I would take anything I thought was remotely within my capabilities (both personal and shop). As I matured, that went through a progression of approaching your attitude except I wouldn't say "never", I'd just pick and choose depending on what else I was doing at the time and whether it looked interesting enough to <be> enjoyable...
So, I'd say unless you have other constraints, do whatever feels good...

I can relate this more to turning that flat work.. folks see something I've made and ask if I'd make this goblet or that bowl, etc... I tell 'em all the same thing, that if I tried to turn something, it would be boring... the wood tells me what to make that that's a lot of what makes it fun... I don't HAVE to make anything.. OTOH, if someone loved a desk that you did for your house and made you an offer that you couldn't refuse, you would probably enjoy building another one for the family, right?
I give away most of the stuff that I turn, but I've sold a few... pays for the wood, etc... but I'd never even try to make something that someone had designed and wanted made.. YMMV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:11:50 -0800, mac davis wrote:

Woodcraft guy came up to me as I looked at the wood stacks, asked if I needed any help. I told him I was just listening to the wood to see which piece spoke to me. He nodded.

I've had that happen at the dealer in Oakland, and the fellow has led me to a 'special stack' set aside in the back, of extra nice boards. Some of those are now in my wood rack, waiting for me to get good enough to be worthy of building them into something really nice.
There are kindred spirits almost everywhere.
Patriarch
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:28:38 -0600, Australopithecus scobis

exactly... neighbors come by when I'm turning something and ask "what are ya making this time?" My standard reply is "either a bowl or a china cabinet.. right now I'm sorta leaning toward the bowl"..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
- before even dry fitting, check that all the parts that are suppose to have square ends actually have square ends
- check that all parts that are supposed to be the same length are in fact the same length.
- mark the parts so you know which face is "up" and which edge is the "front"
- if there are multiples use the triangle marking method to identify which ones on top, which one is in the middle and which one goes on the bottom.
- when ever possible, make all measurements off on end and one reference edge.
- ALWAYS MARK THE WASTE SIDE - ALWAYS MARK THE WASTE SIDE - ALWAYS MARK THE WASTE SIDE - ALWAYS MARK THE WASTE SIDE - ALWAYS MARK THE WASTE SIDE - ALWAYS MARK THE WASTE SIDE - ALWAYS MARK THE WASTE SIDE - ALWAYS MARK THE WASTE SIDE!!!!
- ALWAYS CUT ON THE WASTE SIDE!
- put a slight chamfer on the edges of parts that are going into dadoes (except on the last 1/8" up front where it'll show. couple of passes with 120 grit will do. avoids splitting and crunching on snug fits
- if you want to avoid splintering on the good face of ply, set the blade 1/16th or so above the table and feed the sheet, good face down, from the back of the saw to score it. Then raise the blade and feed in the normal direction to finish the cut.
- make a bunch of 6 x6 mdf corner blocks with 2 holes for clamps. makes holding things square while putting things together during glue up a lot easier
- affer glue up but before glue dries check for square and adjust clamps accordingly then check again.
- keep glue off your hands because it'll leap off later onto the middle of the birdseye panel you just put in between the rails and the stiles.
- waxilit where you don't want glue then wipe it off with alcohol before finishing saves a lot of glue scraping and that little patch you didn't see 'til the finish went on and salmon colored spots start appearing
- MARK THE WASTE SIDE
- CUT ON THE WASTE SIDE
- did I mention MARK THE WASTE SIDE? What about CUT ON THE WASTE SIDE!
(and those are just my major F**K UPS.)
charlie b
Wow. Thanks for the great info, Charlie. Is this waxilit available in stores or only online?
I haven't even been able to find paste wax other than the Minwax 'Finishing Paste Wax' and I'm not sure thats the right stuff for coating parts for friction, protection, etc.
Thanks. Mike W.

I DAGS'ed and found (eventually) Robin Lee to the rescue! <http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p2092&cat=1,43415,43440>
--
Best regards