First "Commisioned" Project Done - Lessons Learned

hmm... I'll remember that one... Sort of a case of increasing the margin of error to avoid making a mistake!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

yule.. must have been having another "senior monument"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

or having kittens in it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I can relate this more to turning that flat work.. folks see something I've made and ask if I'd make this goblet or that bowl, etc... I tell 'em all the same thing, that if I tried to turn something, it would be boring... the wood tells me what to make that that's a lot of what makes it fun... I don't HAVE to make anything.. OTOH, if someone loved a desk that you did for your house and made you an offer that you couldn't refuse, you would probably enjoy building another one for the family, right?

I give away most of the stuff that I turn, but I've sold a few... pays for the wood, etc... but I'd never even try to make something that someone had designed and wanted made.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

LOL. That is a new one on me.

I did have a young female dog go into heat on me on top of a critical board just a day before she was scheduled to be spayed. It left a nasty stain on the wood that took some time to remove. Primarily because it took a day or so for it to dry completely before I could sand it out. Put me behind two days on this particular project.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Woodcraft guy came up to me as I looked at the wood stacks, asked if I needed any help. I told him I was just listening to the wood to see which piece spoke to me. He nodded.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Mind you. When I started out doing woodwork, I attended a residential couse in Wales, and built a grand father clock (pics on request - great couse). Trouble was, the base unit is precisely 1 inch too shallow.

(Must remember to add that one inch back in)

:-)

Reply to
Ian

Australopithecus scobis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@die.spammer.die:

I've had that happen at the dealer in Oakland, and the fellow has led me to a 'special stack' set aside in the back, of extra nice boards. Some of those are now in my wood rack, waiting for me to get good enough to be worthy of building them into something really nice.

There are kindred spirits almost everywhere.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

exactly... neighbors come by when I'm turning something and ask "what are ya making this time?" My standard reply is "either a bowl or a china cabinet.. right now I'm sorta leaning toward the bowl"..