First "Commisioned" Project Done - Lessons Learned

Page 2 of 3

yule.. must have been having another "senior monument"..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Mike W. wrote:

finish them - both cleans and when the alcohol is still wet, shows pretty well what the final piece looks like - will often show up glue and other imperfections that need cleaned up before applying finish. And, no, stale beer doesn't work like denatured alcohol.
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:24:24 GMT, the inscrutable Jim Wheeler

Ditto here. I use either alcohol, lacquer thinner, or acetone (now that I have some) to clean every piece which will be finished. The solvent removes dust, oil, and most contaminants which would otherwise ruin the finish, and it shows you where more work needs to be done, such as scratches, scuffs, and splinters/hard edges.

OTOH, it WOULD be better tasting. ;)
-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

My beer doesn't last long enough to get stale.
Vic
Thanks for the tip. Luckily there are only a couple of spots on it that show... and I pulled out the 'Oh... thats just the figure of the wood' statement and dodged like crazy. She's onto me, but she's too happy with it to gripe methinks.
Mike W.

11. Once you start building for SWMBO...it will never end....(lol)
Schroeder
Mike, I took a look at your cabinet and it looks great. Awesome job!
Glad your kick-back experience wasn't any worse. You might want to use a splitter, as well as the guard, as this will have a large impact on reducing the chance of kickback.
Keep at it!
Mike
So does that mean that the splitter that the blade guard is part of is no good? Its definitely thinner than the blade which would seem to make it useless??
Thanks.
Mike W.

Mike you did a great job. Although you wanted Oak for this project, you might consider 5x5 Baltic Birch of other projects. I have found the per foot cost to be less than 4x8 plywood often. Also 1/2" is plenty strong enough with good joints:
http://alan.firebin.net/images/garage_cab2.jpg
My current project is to make cubes with dividers, drawers, and cubbies for my wife's birthday in her scrapbook room. aka like:
http://www.scrapncube.com
Prior projects included these hacks:
http://alan.firebin.net/images/stamp_tray.jpg
http://arwomack01.home.att.net/images/scrap_cabs.jpg
I especially like the middle cabinet where the lesson was don't trust the vendors measurement for the size of 12x12 hanging folders. Hence the need to widen the drawer and dado the sides to clear the drawer slides. Need to remake that box soon.
Alan

It's hard to admit your mistakes and harder to make them amusing... I'm sure that anyone who doesn't learn from your post will remember something that they might not have thought about for a while.. thanks! (and the organizer is fantastic)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

What is this clean shop you speak of??

I did that once, just once.
I learned my lesson. It hit me just under the rib cage a couple inches right of center. The bruise took almost a month to go away. It hurts just to remember it.
It was a particularly cold day and I had on several layers of thick clothing. And still, the pain and resulting bruise were extensive. I can only imagine what would have happened if I was working in a t shirt.

Try this.
The family cats taking up residence in anything that you build. And getting very offended if you evict them from their new digs.
    Greetings and Salutations...
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:44:03 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

recall a time (for about 20 minutes) when MY shop was neat...so it can happen.

unlikely to gain much altitude..so will tend to hit somewhere between just below the belly button, up to mid-chest. Now a lathe...that WILL throw chunks DIRECTLY at that little ridge between your eyes... and with amazing accuracy.

short, I was cutting 3/8" plywood squares for bird-house floors. I was on the last floor, which was the last piece of ALL the wood needed to build about a dozen of the things...and as I pushed it off the back of the saw, the square rotated slightly, caught the blade, and was propelled at about 100 MPH into my abdomen, about 2" below my belly-button (I was VERY appreciative that I am only 6' tall... any more and it would have recut the family jewels!).     I was left with a VERY impressive, oval bruise about 2" tall and more than 3" wide, that persisted for weeks.

kept pulling enough books off the bookshelf to make a "kitty cave" for her to sit in. She was VERY persistent.     Good thing they are cute, social creatures!     Regards     Dave Mundt

Been there. It was the defining moment that made me get a contractor's saw to replace the bench top delta. I was cutting laminate flooring on th bench top saw. The board was about 12 inches long and maybe 6 inches wide. It caught me just below the ribs on the right side, then somehow shot up and hit me in the face with the flat side. Getting hit in the face was an odd experience. The laminate was light, but there was enough force that it felt like someone was pushing it into my face. No facial injuries though. Where it hit me in the gut, I still have a 1.5" scar. It didn't really bruise so much as cut. I was bleeding a little, but no blood on the shirt oddly enough. I'm sort of surprised it scarred.
brian
Thats about where I took it. I heard 'kickback this' and 'safety that' all the time so I was pretty careful. It only took that one bit of laziness to show me why its preached so often. I have a basement shop which is a little chilly so I had a t-shirt and a sweatshirt on which certainly helped. I remember the instant I heard the launch, it took a split second to recognize the impact and pain, and before I could get my hands and eyes to the 'crater' I wondered if I had been impaled. Luckily all I got was a welt that after about an hour actually let some blood come to the surface, but I know I got off easy. LESSON LEARNED.
Can't help you with the cats... my Rottie might be able to, though. :-) Naaaa... he's a wuss.
Thanks, Mike W.

"Mike W." wrote

that if you fell, you would not fall on the sawblade. We would have to demonstrate this. We would fall onto a padded table saw to show that we did not have any hands, etc, where they should not be.
I continue to follow that advice. What I added this little safety ritual was making sure I DON'T stand where any potential kickback may occur.
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:44:03 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
<snip>

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

LOL. That is a new one on me.
I did have a young female dog go into heat on me on top of a critical board just a day before she was scheduled to be spayed. It left a nasty stain on the wood that took some time to remove. Primarily because it took a day or so for it to dry completely before I could sand it out. Put me behind two days on this particular project.
Thanks for the kind words. I hope some of this, though humored a bit, does help everyone at least a tad. I get so much from the experience and lessons posted in this newsgroup that I feel obliged to offer everything I learn... no matter how stupid I was to learn it. :-)
Mike W.

Anyone who doesn't have a similiar story to tell is full of it.
SH - The "been there done that" woodworker. Especially the getting hit in the gut with the speeding bullet!
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:43:16 GMT, "Mike W."

Just curious ..... I have only made ONE "Commisioned" project in my entire life and to be honest it came out beautiful...and I may have made a few bucks...
I have been asked 100's of times to build something for a friend or a friend of a friend etc...BUT I will never do it again...
What do the majority of you guys or gals do when asked.....?
I honestly did NOT enjoy the "work"...and I do classify it as work... because I never enjoyed "work"...and I was doing something for someone else...
When I walk into my garage I like having the freedom to do MY thing... MY WAY etc....just found that building (it was a desk) for someone else made me feel like I was punching a clock
Bob Griffiths