First career, last career

There are two ways that I have used. The cheap way is to buy a practice mute. Should be a couple of dollars at most. It's basically a weight with a clip that goes on the bridge, and you could probably easily make one yourself. There is a picture of a wooden mute on page

7 of the ILS catalog at
It doesn't really show how the mute is applied, but the three fingers are slotted so that the mute sets on the bridge with the strings going through the gaps. They don't show a practice mute in the catalog, but you could get one of the wood mutes and either make a heavier copy, or mount a lead weight on it. The more weight in the mute, the quieter.

The other way is to use an electric practice instrument with headphones. I have a homemade 'stick' with a pickup that I paid a friend of mine about $100 to build for me. Commercial e-fiddles can cost several thousand dollars. You need a good pickup, a high-impedance preamp, and a headphone amplifier for this.

snipped-for-privacy@FreshCoffee.biz

Howard

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:19:49 GMT, Howard brought forth from the murky depths:

Excellent! I have a nice, dense piece of Jarrah that would love to become a mute. Thanks.

Yes, the Chiwanese models are a few hundred on Ebay. I got the cheapie violin there to learn how to play, and if I continue, I'll get a _real_ violin.

.-. Better Living Through Denial ---

Wondrous Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques