Firewood plans

Page 1 of 2
Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal firewood pieces? ;-)
Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiece they build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it, then start building considering available material without bothering about ready-made plans...
βœ–
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

That's fine if you have the experience to do that. Lot of people don't. And sometimes building from plans leads you to try a new technique called for in the plans that you then have in your repertoire for future use. And sometimes it's kind of nice to be able to show SWMBO what it's going to look like so you don't sleep on the couch until it's done in punishment for spending for a couple of hundred board feet of teak.
--
--John
βœ–

Add pictures here
βœ–
[...]

No. But there is *some* difference in complexity.
[...]

βœ–
Tue, Jun 22, 2004, 11:28am (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de (Juergen Hannappel) asks: <snip> Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiecethey build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it, then start building considering available material without bothering about ready-made plans...
I think the operational word is "think". Too many people "think" they can't do something, without actually just sitting down and thinking about it for a bit. I figure a lot of the questions asked here are not thought about, just asked. Most of them, if the person just went into the bathroom, sat there for a bit, and thought about it, they'd come up with the answer on their own. But, they don't, they hit the keyboard, and ask someelse to think for them. A huge amount of times, a simple google search would answer their question too; but, they don't bother with that either, and spend a day or two getting an answer that should have only taken a minute or two.
I love plans, especially free plans. They're great for inspiration. Plus, it's not always fun, reinventing the wheel. But, I usually modify plans when I do use any. Mostly I just do about like you. A few times, I don't even make rough sketches, just take a few measurements, and have at it.
JOAT Use your brain - it's the small things that count. - Bazooka Joe
Add pictures here
βœ–
I'll trade some free plans for tomato stakes for your firewood plans. :-)
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869

Add pictures here
βœ–

Considering that firewood is measured in units of "cord"s, you may want to cut your logs to lengths of 1ft or 2ft to facilitate piling it up and measuring it accurately. Make sure to allow for some kerf when sawing. http://hearth.com/what/firewood.html
Ends of logs don't need to be coated; you want faster drying, and end-checking should not detrimentally affect the end purpose of the wood.
:) :) :) :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
What's a metric cord? Or do they use that unit?
Here, it's a nominal 128 cf, though I've seen some truly creative stacking....

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:28:15 +0200, Juergen Hannappel

I'll bet you actually get answers from those who have sought them out before, J.

Ditto here. For the last little project, I started with the opening. I knew the guitar string winder had to fit the machine knob so I measured that and built a hole to suit.
------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ---------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------
Add pictures here
βœ–

I usually manage to create one of these on every project (plans or not).
Big John
There is a thin line between hobby & mental illness.
Take out the TRASH for E-mail.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Juergen Hannappel bragged in message news:

Well, good on you! Do you feel appropriately superior now that you've said this? Do you feel a need to try to belittle those who enjoy the hobby of building but don't (or don't yet) have the ability to design in their heads (or on paper for that metter)? Various folks have made this same type of statement numerous times on this newsgroup and I have yet to understand why they seem to feel so superior or why they feel the need to somehow mock those who don't "do" design. To me this is kind of like people in a skiing group trying to make fun of people who ski but don't make their own skis or a golf group wondering why all golfers don't design their own courses.
Man, I just went on and on, didn't I ;) I guess you hit a nerve since I am not the designing type but still like to build stuff. If it is much more complex than a box, I like some direction. Some of the best cooks I know still own some cookbooks and don't just open the fridge and start pulling out whatever is there to create some new dish for that evening's dinner party.
Dave Hall
Add pictures here
βœ–
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Optimal for what? <g> Completeness of burn, fewest fireplace / stove loads per day, least expensive, least pollutants released, most heat released?
Is your fireplace / stove / furnace left or right tilt?

Nah, I build a lot of stuff by TLAR -- That Looks About Right. For example I just bought 20 see-through plastic boxes to help bring some organization to my messy shop. When I build the roll-around cabinet for them I'll decide on the size by putting the boxes on the 2'x4' MDF sheets I have for the project. If I decide 3 boxes wide is the best size for space & materials, I'll set the fence on the TS by putting 3 boxes + 1 board (for dados) between the blade & the fence. I enjoy "build to fit."
Besides, I'm not all that good at 8th's & 16th's etc. Measure (wrong) twice, cut once, cuss when it doesn't fit, adjust the plans or cut another piece... <g> I should probably throw away my English tape measures & buy metric. ;-)
-- Mark
Add pictures here
βœ–
All right! Thought I was one of the only lazy enough to buy those lidded boxes to work as drawers. Did mine as tall rows each side of a two door cabinet section , the whole at the height of my tablesaw. I just roll it out for plywood support rather than calling for SWMBO, who has a tendency to pull rather than just support. Stores a mortiser sans handle and my power sanders with paper in the cabinets.
12 boxes.
Oh yeah, to halve fractions double the denominator. You are over thirty, and therefore know what a denominator is?
Of course, half of five centimeters is two and a half centimeters....

Add pictures here
βœ–
George wrote:

Umm, the governor of California? ;-)
He was denominator and then he was delictable.
-- Mark
Add pictures here
βœ–
Why yes, yes I do. Here is one: http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/stacking.htm
and another with nice line drawings: http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/yxboken/bok04.htm

βœ–
I use plans for a lot of things I build and for some I don't but I have to say I have never needed a plan for firewood yet! Seem to do that every time I build something.
Rick
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869

Add pictures here
βœ–
Well then, how do you know you are doing it right? :)
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869

Add pictures here
βœ–

So Doc, are you asking how to turn your projects that were built with out plans in to fire wood? Or do you think that you would build better firewood if you used plans?
Add pictures here
βœ–

i think a lot of people got fished in here...
randy
Add pictures here
βœ–
I almost always build from plans. I draw them myself.
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869

Add pictures here
βœ–