Firefox/OE NNTP

Page 2 of 3

"damian penney" wrote in message

Revisionism on your part ...here's the quote:
"Trying to get a rational--non-Google, in other words--NG set up. AOHell is no help. I'm hoping the above EarthLink info will work."
Now, Charlie never really answered my point blank question about what ISP he was using, but you assumed that he did, that he was using peoplePC, and you jumped in based on your assumption.
You may well have just gotten lucky this time, but pay attention to the voice of experience when I tell you it is prudent to not ever assume _anything_ when trouble shooting network problems.
That said, and since Charlie has been bitching about, and has had trouble with, AOL for a long time, I hope you're right ... here's hoping he finally did get off that sour tit and onto to something like EarthLink/et al.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06
Swingman wrote:

Oh stop, how are direct quotes revisionism?
his original post was

That was all. Then he followed up with

Getting lucky has nothing to do with it. He asked what PeoplePCs news server was, and I, in my infinite wisdom answered his plea; then you had to go and bamboozle him with science ;-)
How about we just leave it at I was right and you were wrong :)
dp
"damian penney" wrote in message

As far as right or wrong, let's just it leave at hoping that Charlie finally gets his NG thing "right".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06
Swingman wrote:

Not yet. I have both PeoplePC and AOL on this computer. I use them alternately to try to get PeoplePC up where it can totally replace AOL, at least for MY use. My wife likes it, so it will hang around. At the moment, I don't have a google set up on PipplePC to get to this NG, so I'm using the AOL google deal, which anyway is easier to read.
Maybe in a week or so, if I don't have too much work to do, I'll get it all straightened out.

using Verizon DSL (hoping fios will get to us soon). I don't use AOL, but the other grandfather of my grandchildren (SIL's dad) down the road does without a problem.
In addition, since Verizon's newsgroups are pretty good, and free, any newsreader will do fine. I use Xnews.
More info available.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Unfortunately, I get the same response from Verizon every time I ask: it will be about 6 months before we get DSL to your area. I got that response when we got back from WV 2 years ago, I got it 18 months ago, I got it 16 months ago, I got it 10 months ago, I got it 7 months ago, I got it 5 months ago, and I got it yesterday.
I tend to hope that Charter's cable beats them here.

I have no experience with any ccable system. Started with Compuserve in my Apple //e days, then went verizon dial-up, then DSL. Now at nominal 3 MB down. Waiting for fios ...
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

What neighbors? Actually, we now have the population density, and DSL will eventually get here, but my neighbors generally do not give a rat's tuchus about computers. Most have satellite TV, and that's as much as they want. Lessee. I could get the guy who raises rodeo bulls to...nah. He's about a half mile down the road. Across the road, we've got a schoolteacher, but she never uses a computer outside the classroom, except to mark report cards. Down the road is a guy who does I don't know what, but also plays in a rock band...he'd never hear anything.
As I said, eventually, but one of the lacks in the country is neighbors who share your interests.

Once you are connected to peoplePC you can just start Internet Explorer and type http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking in the address bar. Nothing to setup. I'm not familar how AOL does things to be honest. What does AOL do that you can't do with peoplePC at the moment? My wife works for peoplePC so just curious.
Damian
damian penney wrote:

That should be Firefox or Internet Explorer.
damian penney wrote:

AOL is irrelevant because it forces you to use google groups, which is total shit when it comes to newsgroups. No filters. Incredibly clumsy.
PeoplePC, at the moment, is not working for me. I think I know what's wrong, but it has nothing to do with getting into google groups. If you'd read a bit earlier, you would understand that I moved into PPC to allow me to eventually get rid of AOL, and that I dislike using google groups intensely.

Whatever Mr Snippy. You wrote 'I don't have a google set up on PipplePC to get to this NG' which sure sounded like you were trying to access Google Groups via peoplePC to me. I'm well aware that you were trying to use OE/peoplePC seeing as I was the person who told you the correct value to use for the news server.
"damian penney" wrote in message

Like I said, that's what you get for assuming.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06
Swingman wrote:

Answer me honestly Swingman, what would you think Charlie meant by 'I don't have a google set up on PipplePC to get to this NG'.
"damian penney" wrote in message

As you've found out, you "think" to ask the basic questions before assuming what is "meant".
But hell, you're the one who's "right", so just let go of it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

I don't know about y'all but I don't come here for the wooddorking.
I come here for lessons in epistemology.
This was a pretty good one.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Swingman wrote:

Had you not confused the issue by asking superfluous questions in the first place things would have gone a lot smoother.

and that's the bit the really sticks in your craw isn't it. I was right. Charlie asked a simple question and I answered it correctly whereas you added nothing and took the whole thread on this bizarre tangent. You didn't answer Charlies question nor did you answer mine, seems to be a pattern.

They're looking for the name or address of the news server PeoplePC provides. You may need to call/email their tech support guys to find out what it is, but you could also try
news.peoplepc.com
or
nntp.peoplepc.com
since both are popular choices for names for news servers.
John
Charlie Self wrote:

A Google search shows it to be:
news.peoplepc.com
but I also found this:
"I did an NSLOOKUP on news.peoplepc.com and it came back as being an alias for news.east.earthlink.net. So apparently they do support a news server via Earthlink. But it may require a logon."
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA