Firefox/OE NNTP

As far as right or wrong, let's just it leave at hoping that Charlie finally gets his NG thing "right".

Reply to
Swingman

I got the peoplepc tech notice, entered it, and it comes up with no groups to download. Weird. I guess I'll have to play with it a bit, which is not something I consider fun.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Sigh. I am using PeoplePC with OE when I go in. I have paid for PeoplePC as an ISP, but until it can put me in all the places AOL puts me in, I am keeping the AOL, too. In fact, my wife tells me I am keeping the AOL, which I regret a bti.

Local servers are not worth shit IMO. I've tried them. They offer zilch, except connection, for about the same price as Earthlink, PeoplePC and others (except AOL, which, AFAIK, is the highest priced ISP going). By the time you add on the stuff that's standard on other ISPs, the local guys are no longer cheap and you get bumped almost as often as you get bumped on AOL.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Not yet. I have both PeoplePC and AOL on this computer. I use them alternately to try to get PeoplePC up where it can totally replace AOL, at least for MY use. My wife likes it, so it will hang around. At the moment, I don't have a google set up on PipplePC to get to this NG, so I'm using the AOL google deal, which anyway is easier to read.

Maybe in a week or so, if I don't have too much work to do, I'll get it all straightened out.

Reply to
Charlie Self

"Charlie Self" wrote in news:1152546156.599369.36000 @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I'm jumping in late. I forgot where you're located, Charlie, but I am using Verizon DSL (hoping fios will get to us soon). I don't use AOL, but the other grandfather of my grandchildren (SIL's dad) down the road does without a problem.

In addition, since Verizon's newsgroups are pretty good, and free, any newsreader will do fine. I use Xnews.

More info available.

Reply to
Han

Once you are connected to peoplePC you can just start Internet Explorer and type

in the address bar. Nothing to setup. I'm not familar how AOL does things to be honest. What does AOL do that you can't do with peoplePC at the moment? My wife works for peoplePC so just curious.

Damian

Reply to
damian penney

Mentioned this upthread but my wife works for peoplePC, I'll see if she has some step by step info on what you need to do to get this working.

Reply to
damian penney

That should be Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Reply to
damian penney

OK, Charlie, you've got me curious. What "add on" stuff do you mean?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:12b63ntfd1kmp71 @corp.supernews.com:

Probably quality email (I see you're with fastmail, Larry... No quality problems there ;-) ), NNTP access, and web space.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I also get all three of those from intergate.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

AOL is irrelevant because it forces you to use google groups, which is total shit when it comes to newsgroups. No filters. Incredibly clumsy.

PeoplePC, at the moment, is not working for me. I think I know what's wrong, but it has nothing to do with getting into google groups. If you'd read a bit earlier, you would understand that I moved into PPC to allow me to eventually get rid of AOL, and that I dislike using google groups intensely.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Acceleration, among others. It is around 5 bucks for some a bit more on others.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Unfortunately, I get the same response from Verizon every time I ask: it will be about 6 months before we get DSL to your area. I got that response when we got back from WV 2 years ago, I got it 18 months ago, I got it 16 months ago, I got it 10 months ago, I got it 7 months ago, I got it 5 months ago, and I got it yesterday.

I tend to hope that Charter's cable beats them here.

Reply to
Charlie Self

"Charlie Self" wrote in news:1152817168.857559.88010 @m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Maybe you have to organize the neighbors into requesting it.

I have no experience with any ccable system. Started with Compuserve in my Apple //e days, then went verizon dial-up, then DSL. Now at nominal 3 MB down. Waiting for fios ...

Reply to
Han

What neighbors? Actually, we now have the population density, and DSL will eventually get here, but my neighbors generally do not give a rat's tuchus about computers. Most have satellite TV, and that's as much as they want. Lessee. I could get the guy who raises rodeo bulls to...nah. He's about a half mile down the road. Across the road, we've got a schoolteacher, but she never uses a computer outside the classroom, except to mark report cards. Down the road is a guy who does I don't know what, but also plays in a rock band...he'd never hear anything.

As I said, eventually, but one of the lacks in the country is neighbors who share your interests.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Whatever Mr Snippy. You wrote 'I don't have a google set up on PipplePC to get to this NG' which sure sounded like you were trying to access Google Groups via peoplePC to me. I'm well aware that you were trying to use OE/peoplePC seeing as I was the person who told you the correct value to use for the news server.

Reply to
damian penney

Like I said, that's what you get for assuming.

Reply to
Swingman

Answer me honestly Swingman, what would you think Charlie meant by 'I don't have a google set up on PipplePC to get to this NG'.

Reply to
damian penney

As you've found out, you "think" to ask the basic questions before assuming what is "meant".

But hell, you're the one who's "right", so just let go of it.

Reply to
Swingman