Firefox/OE NNTP

Page 1 of 3

Set up with both Firefox and OE for NG use, but...WTF is the NNTP for PeoplePC use?
Any help there?
Charlie Self
Short for Network News Transfer Protocol http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/N/NNTP.html

Sorry wrong ans. see http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic@541&close_left=true looks like they don't have one :)

Charlie Self wrote:

PeoplePC news server is
news.peoplepc.com
Damian
Charlie Self wrote:

In fact looks like peoplePC just uses the earthlink servers (earthlink owns peoplepc) so you can use news.west.earthlink.net or news.east.earthlink.net depending on if you are on the west or east coast
Damian
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Is PeoplePC your ISP these days and do they have nntp servers?
nntp is "network news transport protocol" and is basically used to send, receive and distribute Usenet messages, where you are now.
Clarify why you're asking, as it is unclear what you need.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06
Swingman wrote:

Trying to get a rational--non-Google, in other words--NG set up. AOHell is no help. I'm hoping the above earthlinkink info will work.
My grandson finally got the blinking machine straightened out, but the problems I have with AOL are apparently some kind of screwed up code that AOL uses, and there are a host of problems. I'm slowly moving out of it. I hope.
I really don't want to stay with the Google Groups bit, because it lacks any chance at filters, and it's clumsy to use.
"Charlie Self" wrote in message ...

It's a good bet that the only way it will work is if you are a member of the EarthLink network. Generally all ip address blocks but the owners, or their member networks, are excluded when attempting to login in to an nntp server.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06
Swingman wrote:

No, news.peoplepc.com resolves to the earthlink servers. It will work just fine.
Damian

"damian penney" wrote in message

Yes, read it again ... if he doesn't use EarthLink or peoplePC (peoplePC _is_ a member network), he damn sure ain't logging onto earthlinks nntp servers.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06
Swingman wrote:

Richard Clements wrote:

news.readfreenews.net is good for text groups like this one, but doesn't carry binaries. I don't know if Mike is allowing new members a this time or not, but it doesn't hurt to look.

I use intergate for dialup at $9.95 a month. They get their news via Supernews. So far (2-3 years) my only complaint is the support staff, but that's common to all ISPs that I've tried. They all refuse to believe that a customer knows what he's doing :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Richard Clements wrote:

Sigh. I am using PeoplePC with OE when I go in. I have paid for PeoplePC as an ISP, but until it can put me in all the places AOL puts me in, I am keeping the AOL, too. In fact, my wife tells me I am keeping the AOL, which I regret a bti.
Local servers are not worth shit IMO. I've tried them. They offer zilch, except connection, for about the same price as Earthlink, PeoplePC and others (except AOL, which, AFAIK, is the highest priced ISP going). By the time you add on the stuff that's standard on other ISPs, the local guys are no longer cheap and you get bumped almost as often as you get bumped on AOL.
Charlie Self wrote:

OK, Charlie, you've got me curious. What "add on" stuff do you mean?
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Probably quality email (I see you're with fastmail, Larry... No quality problems there ;-) ), NNTP access, and web space.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

I also get all three of those from intergate.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

on others.
[snip]

Well Charlie did say in the original post "WTF is the NNTP for PeoplePC" so I assume he's asking what the peoplePC news server is and it's news.peoplepc.com. Sheesh!
"damian penney" wrote in message

He also specifically indicated he's using AOL ... does peoplePC/EarthLink allow AOL users access to their nntp servers?
If not, he's out of luck ... as was originally stated. IOW, don't look now but the Sheesh is on you.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06
Swingman wrote:

I see your sheesh is on you and raise you an "the problems I have with AOL are apparently some kind of screwed up code that AOL uses, and there are a host of problems. I'm slowly moving out of it. I hope. "
i.e He is trying to get shut of AOL and wanted to know "WTF is the NNTP for PeoplePC" which is still news.peoplepc.com. Avast ye Swingman.
dp